RAW: NOOB Question

soul dog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I tried to upload some raw files into cs3. Ok that didn't work. Found out I need an camera raw update plug in. I
1. Downloaded 3 or 4 updates for my cam, and ps version. Still didn't open.

2. I downloaded a DNG converter. The dng would not open my NEF files, or even acknowledge them. *Error message said, "The source folder dose not contain any camera raw files."*

3.So I open nikon viewNX and converted them to TIFF (16 bit) files.

Are these files still considered raw?

Not sure about Nikon but I just downloaded a plugin from Adobe to open my RAW canon files and it did. Did you open them through PS?

Not sure about Nikon but I just downloaded a plugin from Adobe to open my RAW canon files and it did. Did you open them through PS?
do you mean did I update it through ps? If not how do I open it in ps?

I also just noticed you're using CS3. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it Adobe's ACR updates won't support CS3?
Are you sure ? Because I downloaded one for CS3.

I also just noticed you're using CS3. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it Adobe's ACR updates won't support CS3?
I found the address and it looks like it would support it.
Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Camera Raw 4.3.1 update

To the OP: Once I downloaded the plugin I just went into the folder and selected it like a standard file through my file menu and the Reader takeovers in a separate window, does not directly open in photoshop. Now I do use PSE* but some of the functions are the same.
I am new to the whole photo shop experience so I could be wrong.

Are you sure ? Because I downloaded one for CS3.

There is something about RAW updates for newer cams only being supported back so far. My cam was already supported when I upgraded to CS4, so I'm not sure exactly what the stipulations are. Someone will provide the correct info, I'm sure.

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Camera Raw 4.3.1 update

To the OP: Once I downloaded the plugin I just went into the folder and selected it like a standard file through my file menu and the Reader takeovers in a separate window, does not directly open in photoshop. Now I do use PSE* but some of the functions are the same.
NOPE! Didn't work.

NOPE! Didn't work.
Go to that link and see if your camera is supported, What king do you use?

NOPE! Didn't work.
Go to that link and see if your camera is supported, What king do you use?
Nikon D3000

Should be supported. Hmmm. Maybe someone can help further.
I know I had some trouble at first but I thought I opened the RAW reader to read the files, when I figured out just going through PSE file menu and clicking open on my RAW files that it would automatically place the files in the reader.
Good Luck, sorry I couldnt help further.

Update: Sorry I discovered that link is only valid in Mac systems for PS3, Subscuck could be right.

SO I got the right dng converter to convert my nefs to dngs, CS3 still won't open them. So I google the problem. find out I need to upgrade to CS4?

Last edited:
OKAY! I got it open by way of DNG. Is dng still considered raw?

MY CS3 ACR did not work out of the box with my D300 NEFs but an update easily fixed the problem. I used the automated updater that came with the app ... sounds like you might not be using the updater; if that's the case, then use it.

Assuming you're a registered owner of the software then use Adobe's tech support. I find them to be very responsive. Go there with your technical questions about Adobe products first, not this place.

Most reactions

Back