Raw or Jpeg?

Lightroom. Hands down. If you can have only software package, that's what I'd choose with no question. It's cataloging, workflow, rating, and organizing features are INCREDIBLE. Plus, with 80-90% of the pics that I need to edit, I don't need to jump into Photoshop at all.

Thanks pugs,Is it a free down load or what?

No, it's like three-hundy, but you can download Lightroom 3 Beta and use it free for a few months before it comes out to see if you want to drop that much on it. Plus, it saves you the cost of Photoshop which is a few hundy more.

No, it's like three-hundy, but you can download Lightroom 3 Beta and use it free for a few months before it comes out to see if you want to drop that much on it. Plus, it saves you the cost of Photoshop which is a few hundy more.

Thanks again Pugs, :thumbup:

Where on this board can I go to learn how to use this program as a newbee

Hm... you can do the Google on "Lightroom tutorials" and you'll get a cubic a$$-ton of results. I don't recall ever seeing a comprehensive tutorial on TPF, but I don't read every thread, either.

Hm... you can do the Google on "Lightroom tutorials" and you'll get a cubic a$$-ton of results. I don't recall ever seeing a comprehensive tutorial on TPF, but I don't read every thread, either.

Thanks for pointing a noobi in the right direction

Checked out beta 3 lightroom tutorials,watched all 3, rather complex for a noobi noobi.
Lightroom looks as you would need classes to fully utilize it. Especially as a novice.

Is there a more simple user friendly processing software for your typical family photos. Someone who never done this before..

Perhaps after I get my feet wet, and catch the bug, then move on to the more avanced software.

I swear to you that it will seem daunting and intimidating at first, but you will learn it quickly and love it! I'll put five American dollars behind my words too!

Seriously, it may seem intimidating, but you WILL learn it and then you'll wonder what the big deal was. And, because the editing is COMPLETELY non-destructive, if you hork something up, you can always go back and fix it later. Other editing programs are destructive in their editing so you need to maintain back-ups or risk losing your originals.

Is there a more simple user friendly processing software for your typical family photos. Someone who never done this before..

Shoot JPG and don't worry about it... Personally, I shoot RAW all the time, even for snapshots of the kids. I don't like having different rules depending on what I'm shooting, so I just do the same thing all the time. RAW.
This way, I never 'forget to change it back' either...

It takes a little longer, but that's just how I do it...

Plus, you won't always know ahead of time which pictures you will regret not having a RAW of... What you thought was just a snapshot of your kid while you were taking it might end up being one of your favorite pictures. Why limit yourself by shooting in anything but the highest quality setting the camera offers?

Most times if you can I would say shoot JPG and RAW :) that is what I do for the most part. or I can switch it to just Raw. I would defiantly shoot RAW tho. Lightroom does some nice work on RAW files and isn't too expensive

Yepp, intimidating is correct, but what the heck, its a free down load for a couple months, so I have nothing to loose, and a lot to gain.

I think I may also have my son download it as well, so if I stumble, he can help me with it. Just not of the generation of computers, unfortunately. I do my best.

I am aware of the benefits of raw, vs jpg

Thanks O and CW for shinning in as well.

If I stumble and son is not available, where on this forum can I go to get HELP

Much Appreciatd
Seabreeze

For me, if you shoot snapshots and print with no processing or shoot for the news media and have to send your photos in quickly or maybe if you're shooting photos to be used in court then you would use JPEG. There might be some other examples of JPEG appropriate uses that I'm not thinking of right now. Since I'm not doing any of those things, I shoot raw.

Since I am doing many of those things although not snapshots, I often shoot JPEG, although I shoot RAW as well in some situations. Postprocessing can still be done on jpeg originals with good results with the right software and plug-ins.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back