RAW problems

RainNotebook

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay... I have done a lot of research on this but I haven't had anything that has answered my questions.

1) I have tried several times to shoot RAW. What I do is shoot RAW + JPEG so I have both to work with and honestly so I can see a difference. But I have NOT been able to look at any of my RAW files. I was under the impression that I can open it up through Photoshop. But I have Photoshop 7 so I don't know if this has anything to do with it. If Photoshop is the way to do it... what am I doing wrong? If it isn't... is there a program that I can use... preferably free?

2) I have four san disk EXTREME III 4 gb cards and every time I shoot in RAW I get error messages when I put them on the computer. I don't know if my cards are faulty, if it has to do with my camera or computer or what. These error messages tell me that it can't upload a file for some reason. And this is on about 30 images... it can be the RAW or JPEG or even both. The cards are new and the camera is a digital Rebel XT. Has anyone had this happen to them? What would be causing this?
I hope I was clear about my questions... I appreciate your help!!

I might be mistaken, but I think you have to add the Adobe Camera Raw software to Photoshop 7, I don't believe that it originally came with the program. That's probably why you aren't able to view your RAW images, and even then some of the newer camera's RAW formats are only able to be viewed with the latest version(s) of Adobe Camera Raw.

If at all possible, I'd look into upgrading to Photoshop CS3 (or CS4 if you have the $$). You'll get the camera raw software with the program and you'll be able to upload/view your RAW files from your camera and card.

Alternatively, you could try some free software to convert your RAW files such as Rawshooter Essentials (assuming your camera is supported). You could also download a trial version from BibbleLabs.com (Biblbe Pro 4 or Bibble Lite 4). I find Bibble Pro really easy to use and I get the results I want from it (it also supports a large number of cameras). Give it a try; you might like it and it might be cheaper than upgrading to CS4.

Thank you both for your information!

Yes...the application that Photoshop uses to open RAW files is called 'Adobe Camera RAW'...and it's built into newer versions of Photoshop. Every new camera must be added to ACR, so every few months, there is a new version of ACR. The problem is that they eventually stop making them compatible with older versions of Photoshop...and I'm not even sure if version 7.0 is compatible at all.

That being said, I don't think that Photoshop is the best application to open RAW files anyway. Your camera may have come with 'Digital Photo Pro' which is better but still not the best. It will certainly have come with EOS Utility which should work.

I think the best application is Adobe Lightroom and there is also Adobe Bridge (which usually comes with the 'Creative Suite' versions of Photoshop).

I'd also suggest that you look into RawShooter Essentials (if you can find it). It was a program that Adobe bought up when developing Lightroom and it was a free download. It probably only works with cameras that we out before it was bought up, but it just might work with your XT's RAW files.

There are other programs as well. Capture One is something that I've been hearing about for a few years. I've never used it though.

Anyway, you can use these other programs to open/convert your RAW files, then save them as a standard format like JPEG or TIFF, then you can open them in any version of Photoshop.

My SXi came with several programs, one of which is Digital Photo Professional, which lets me view RAW images, and do some editing. I usually save RAW images as Photoshop files (I have CS3 Extended) and do most of my manipulation in Photoshop.

I also have the Extreme III cards, and have no problems with files. Have you formatted the cards? You will lose any images on the cards, but it MAY fix your problem.

Have Fun,
Jeff

Editing in Camera Raw is a good way to go to get your basic exposure/color/contrast retouching done as it doesn't eliminate any data like editing in photoshop will.

Most reactions

Back