RAW Question?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by solrac8126, Feb 10, 2008.

1. solrac8126

solrac8126 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I don't know if this is something that everyone has preferences of their own.

But i'll like to know your opinions on WHEN or WHY shoot RAW or JPG

I know if i want to print BIG i need more MP but let's say i only shoot and never print or never print a banner, i guess the bigger i'll print will be like a 8.5*11 page.

2. confucious

confucious TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Raw is not necessarily a choice for the overall size of the image but rather for the amount of information that is contained in the image. This sounds contradictory, I know, but it makes sense.

The RAW image is processed very little by the camera itself. When you shoot JPEG there is a process that goes on as it is stored that strips some of the data from the image and sets certain values. These then cannot be restored. RAW omits this process allowing YOU to do it later (adjust white balance, brightness, shot settings etc.).

Essentially it gives you much more control later in the image making process...some prefer to just shoot and have done with it. Your camera's largest JPEG setting should be fine for printing all sorts of big stuff - RAW is not necessary for that.

3. Fiendish Astronaut

Fiendish Astronaut TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I always shoot RAw unless I'm being asked to provide pictures immediately to somebody. RAW takes time but alongside the right bit of software WILL get you better results (unless you nail the JPG absolutely perfectly in camera and the colour is already exactly how you want it).

The other reason I might use JPG is if I'm shooting 1,000 pictures in a day! The amont of memory and post processing required for that would make using RAW totally impractical. RAW has nothing to do with megapixels though - however you'll get more size options in your camera's menu if your shooting JPG.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can make a JPEG out of a RAW file...but you can't go the other way and make a RAW out of a JPEG.

So why not shoot in the very best format that you can...all the time?

JPEGs are for saving space.

5. yeti

yeti TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    RAW does not contain your image, but rather all the incredients + the recipe. The ingredients are the content of every cell of your CCD, and the recipe is the list of every manipulation your camera does on the raw data. It is your viewer that "renders" the final image for you, the RAW file itself is not your image. This allows you full control over the recipe for the final image, including changing it after the fact. A RAW image allows you to do some pretty remarkable post-processing, like "restore" color of a B&W image and stuff (in reality it was always there as RAW doesn't change the raw data).

JPEG, on the other hand, is an image format. It is just the final product: a lot of information is now thrown out as the image is considered final. You also have compression losses, so further post-processing is destructive to the image. JPEG is the end of the line for every image regardless how you shoot it, so JPEG is great when you trust your camera to do the adequate post-processing for you.

When to shoot one versus the other: JPEG is good if you know that you won't post-process your images further. Shoot JPEG in cases when you will be printing images directly from your camera and are not interested in the unprocessed version. Shoot RAW for everything else.

6. skipper34

skipper34 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Not true! I shoot JPEG all the time and I can and do post-process in PS. The "lossy" compression only occurs if I have saved an image as a JPEG and then reopened it for further post-process. It is true that the camera will render some of the data as unusable when it saves an image as a JPEG file, however if the image is downloaded and then converted to a TIFF, which is what I always do when shooting JPEG, the data loss is a non-issue. RAW files simply enable the shooter to have a much wider latitude for exposure after the fact, such as white-balance adjustment and sharpening. I find that if the image is good to start with, then there is very little post-processing needed. This is what I try to do whenever I take a photo.

7. Happy Hour

Happy Hour TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with this. I shoot majority of my pics in the highest Jpeg and the only thing I have a problem with in PP is if I have a picture that was way under exposed (like a dark pic in a bar) It's hard to lighten the pic without massive noise. In RAW it's sometimes recoverable. But the majority of my pics can be fixed very fast in Picasa and printed on a 8x 10 without any problems. I find it to be a pain in the rear to convert 300 pics to jpegs unless it's something important like a wedding. Then RAW is always the way to go just 2 be safe.

8. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I shoot 1000+ images at a wedding and Lightroom makes short work of editing these. RAW nearly all the way for me. Only use for jpg is to view my images in my P-2000 or if I need to print from my Selphy on-site.

9. Tasmaster

Tasmaster TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I shoot RAW when i think the photo sill be tricky or if i can see myself working on it a long time in PP to get various results. The more i shoot, the more i tend towards RAW; if i am going to fiddle with my camera settings more than once during a shoot, i might as well do it a lot better on the computer.

10. skipper34

skipper34 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The bottom line as far as Raw vs. JPEG is that both will work. It all depends on what the photographer is comfortable with. I like shooting JPEG because it shortens my workflow somewhat. By converting my JPEG's to Tiff and saving them in the computer, I have no worries about lossy compression. When I shoot a wedding I will commonly take up to 1000 frames. For me, JPEG's work fine, and there is less time involved at the computer. I have yet to have a client tell me that they want their images in Raw. They would be hard-pressed to know the difference anyway. If a shooter is using Raw format and is comfortable with it, then he or she should by all means use it. The same can be said for JPEG. Neither is the right or wrong way. If the results are satisfactory, then it doesn't matter which is used.

11. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    JPGs are like film, if to get them right to start with they are fine

12. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How about 'JPGs are like colour slide film, if you get them right to start with they are usually fine if the subject brightness range isn't too great. Raw is like colour negative film.'?

Best,
    Helen