RAW question.....

Just to clarify, Gimp works with TIFF files as well. I always use NX to edit the RAW as needed and I also do as Jerry say's about the batch process. I usually open 1 image in a set and make all the adjustments that I want (maybe 5 minutes worth), then I save the settings file and apply that to all of the files of that "bunch". Then, if there is specific files (like with eyes showing), then I'll open that file and make a quick USM on the eyes and then to a batch covert with all of them to JPG or TIFF. Then I can continue with Gimp if needed.

NX does a great job of showing exactly what my camera did for me to start with as a base. That's about 95% of the reason that I use NX over other raw editors.

I only have ViewNX not CaptureNX.... I stopped using it shortly after I bought the D60 because I liked Picasa better... but this was before I started looking into RAW etc...

I'm going to relook at ViewNX tonight...

to be honest there's no point in shooting RAW if you really want everything that jpeg does...

why?? I don't want everything JPeg offers and I don't want everything RAW offers....

I would like to have lossless files in my archives but don't necessarily want to make adjustments to every image I take.... this is the let down of RAW....

Also - This is not a RAW vs. JPEG thread... my questions are only RAW based

I don't even understand what this means.

everything that jpeg does?

JPEG doesn't do anything...The camera creates the JPEG, the software creates the JPEG.

I don't want to turn this into another JPG vs RAW discussion, but I think his thinking is backwards or his understanding of RAW is limited.

Anyways... ViewNX views files, doesn't change them at all. You need CaptureNX.

I think what SBlanca meant was that if you're happy with your camera's on-board RAW to JPEG processing, and find its JPEG outputs to be pleasing and/or workable, then there's little point to shooting RAW.

Cool, but totally irrelevant to the discussion... lol

I have had the same problem. On my camera the pictures look very vibrant but when I'm looking at the RAW images in Lightroom they are muted. Sometimes just to view images I use Pacasa Photo Viewer and as it loads an image it has it's original vibrance. Wait a few seconds and it returns to the Lightroom muted colors. Any reason for this or is there any way I can return the color? In Lightroom under White Balance I select 'As Shot' yet none of the color returns. Very frustrating.

I think it differs...depending on the software that you are using...and the settings that we are talking about.

WB, for example, will usually be adjusted to the 'As shot' value. The sharpness, saturation, sharpness etc. settings usually aren't applied to the image. I'm not sure if the RAW files reads the in-camera settings for those or not. With the RAW programs that I've used, you can set a default profile for your camera...so you can have those things pre-set...but either way, you can still adjust those things in the RAW software.

Okay.... does anyone know of any software that uses ALL of the cameras settings when importing a RAW file?

I want to be able to set my camera w.b. to SHADE, Sharpness +1, Vivid Colour saturation, D-Lighting active.... and have ALL of these settings come through on the RAW import.... then... let's say my technique was wrong... I want to undo all of those in camera settings and start from scratch... how would I do this?

As someone who has recently started learning about all of this, this may not be the point, but why not shoot in Raw + HQ Large JPEG? The JPEG will have all those settings incorporated in the coding in the camera itself. I also downloaded Lightroom after someone suggestions but I still prefer Photoshop's Raw 5.6 plugin, may not be able to batch like Lightroom but it seems easier (more intuitive) to use for me at this point in my PP experience.

This leaves the RAW as is, with "As Shot" settings, and also the option of setting everything to Default and starting over. using Photoshop's Raw plugin also creates a .xmp file that contains all the adjustments you made to the RAW, so its as easy as deleting that file if you feel its gone all wrong.

Hope that helps, my apologies if it wasn't pertinent to your point.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back