RAW thumbnails

Jon_Are

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is a file management issue.

I have a laptop and a desktop. When viewing the files in Computer on the laptop, and the view is set for icons (rather than List or Details), the icon is a thumbnail of the image, no matter the format (JPEG, RAW, etc.).

When I view these very same files from my desktop, the RAW images only show a generic NEF icon. JPEGS show the image thumbnail.

I would like to see the RAW thumbnails on the desktop.

All the settings seem to be identical. Both are VISTA PCs.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

JOn

Are the default applications the same for both of them?

There is a patch at Microsoft that lets you view the JPG thumbnail embedded in all RAW files on your screen. I do not have a link, but I had to do the same 2 years ago under XP... I was told that basically a similar patch was made for Vista.

(did I ever mention that I hate Vista with a passion?)

Got it.

It works.

Thanks!

Jon

Like Jerry alluded to, there are no RAW thumbnails.

By the same token when you shoot RAW and look at a histogram on your camera LCD, that's not your RAW data either, but the histogram for that same, small, basic JPRG imbedded in every RAW data file.

By the same token when you shoot RAW and look at a histogram on your camera LCD, that's not your RAW data either, but the histogram for that same, small, basic JPRG imbedded in every RAW data file.
You can still get a Thumbnail which represents your RAW in its current state (liek the link i provided does)

I am so sorry. Mods, please change my thread title to:

the histogram for that same, small, basic JPRG imbedded in every RAW data file.

:er:

I am so sorry. Mods, please change my thread title to:

the histogram for that same, small, basic JPRG imbedded in every RAW data file.

:er:
That gave me a good laugh, Jon. :thumbup:

That is very likely the same base files. Nikon and MS have a very small working relationship that extends to something no further than this. That patch should be included in a past MS update. The files always do come from the RAW file manufacturer (ie: Canon, Nikon, etc...), they are the only ones that can read and know how to work their files.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back