Raw to JPG vs Camera to JPG

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I noticed when I export raw (CR2) files from lightroom, the JPG files are a little larger than just plain JPG from camera. I never really thought of this, its only a few MB difference. The only down fall to this really is for some reason, its too large (full size images) for my website to create thumbnails for. I would need to downsize the exports to a smaller file someway... I now have a external 500GB HD so maybe I wont use my website anymore. (I used to use my website to hold unpublished albums just to store all my photos...dont need to anymore...)

So I guess I dont need to upload full size images anymore, or maybe not 100% full quality JPG anymore.

I have the XTi and from camera JPG files are about 3-5MP in size. When exporting from raw from CR2 files, they are 5-7MB (isnt a huge difference, but considering its a JPG file, where is all the extra data coming from anyway?)

BTW, this is after PP also, saturation/sharpness etc.... (for the lightroom exports)

Anyone have any comments on lightroom and JPG and whatnot? Just a general discussion ive kinda been thinking about lately...

I unfortunately dont use Lightroom. But I think CS does this as well but, I havent noticed.

IMHO, I would prefer to let my PC do the processing of the images rather than the circuitry in the camera. Being that a jpg from the camera is a converted Raw file that you never touched. I have found that with raw files I can get better more consistent post processing because I am in control of things like exposure compensation, white balance and the like where with jpg's, it's already been done. I shoot with Nikon though and although I doubt there would be any difference, I have no experience with Canon. Do you use the Adobe raw converter plug in for PS? Have you tried doing a side by side comparison of the same shot in raw and jpg? I always am testing my equipment like that. Forever testing the cameras limits and seeing what gives me the best results. Plus the more I shoot, the more comfortable I get with my rig.

I suspect the added space is due to less compression on a JPEG from Lightroom (which does not have to worry about JEPG size) compared to compression from the camera (where the size is very important with regard to buffer capacity and card space).

I suspect the added space is due to less compression on a JPEG from Lightroom (which does not have to worry about JEPG size) compared to compression from the camera (where the size is very important with regard to buffer capacity and card space).
Now that sounds like the correct answer. I never thought about that one.

Hmm, thanks Overread :) & everyone else..

Most reactions

Back