RAW Troubles

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by paigegreen916, Sep 24, 2008.

1. paigegreen916

paigegreen916 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    i shot in RAW for the first time last week. (family portraits) about 3 gigs from a 10.2 mp camera (which translates to about 550 images) and it is taking FOREVER to edit them. i can't preview the images so i have to open each one in the converter to even see the image, then it has to convert to Tiff. before i can edit in photoshop, then i have to convert to JPEG. before i can send them off to be printed and i still haven't even figured out how to do that! (its not given as a file option under "save as") the quality may be slightly better, but the headache is causing me to consider simple shooting in JPEG from now on!
    *exhale*
    sorry, i needed to vent.

2. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Do you have RAW Capture. Photoshop should be able to open up the images with no problem. Now if you're just using the windows viewer (I assumer you're using PC) then you will not be able to view those images. You can view them through InfranView (just google search it....it's free, don't worry). Anyways, please do not go back to JPEG. Once you get into the heavy editing, and even before then, and start messing with white balance and bringing back highlight and bringing out the shadows, you will see the diffference. RAW captures SO much more information. I won't get into that though. Searching RAW on here will give you much more information about that. Do you have CS2 or 3? Like I said, it shouldn't be a problem to open in photoshop

~Michael~

3. paigegreen916

paigegreen916 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i have CS2, and i mostly edit through actions. i dont even know what RAW capture is. is that through photoshop?

4. davebmck

davebmck TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You should be able to preview your pics in Adobe Bridge. From there you can open the files in Camera Raw. Go to the Adobe site and make sure you have the current updates. If you have pictures that were taken in similar lighting conditions, you can open multiple images in Camera Raw and apply the same adjustments to the group. You can also save your files in jpeg format from Camera Raw.

I do 95% of my PP in Camera Raw now. I only use Photoshop to do major editing.

5. lockwood81

lockwood81 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you have XP or Vista there is a plug-in that allows you to view raw files in your regular viewer.

(You don't need adobe to do everything) :)

6. sdesha

sdesha TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    MAC's are the fastest for all of that! ;) I love my MAC!:heart:

7. pez

pez No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    ?? link?

8. Photog

Photog TPF Noob!

If you have the option, don't just shoot RAW, shoot RAW+Jpeg, then you always have the option of firstly viewing the jpegs, and then keeping any jpegs and not editing the RAW file if you're happy with them.

9. pez

pez No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    That's what I do, but I've been considering shooting RAW only to save space, as the in-camera JPG isn't very good on a K10D (but converted from RAW it's just fine).

10. lockwood81

lockwood81 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  11. ddm1975

ddm1975 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for that tip!

12. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are plenty of programs that will allow you to preview your RAW files. The Photoshop browser or Bridge should certainly let you preview them.

I would suggest that you look into Adobe Lightroom (download the free trial)...it's a work flow software that really helps you to edit RAW files in a quick and efficient manor. You can make adjustments and uncomplicated edits in Lightroom but it's not a replacement for Photoshop as an image editor, however, I know several photographers who use Lightroom and have practically cut Photoshop right out of their workflow, doing it entirely in Lightroom...and making their workflow much faster.