RAW Workflow

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Iron Flatline, Feb 7, 2006.

1. I've been shooting in RAW recently, and I love it. I plan on sticking with it. I love the control, and the fact that I can always go back.

But the workflow is killing me. Right now I create a folder for every separate shoot I go own, and two sub-folders. So my folder will be called 2006 02 07 Fairfax (a reminder of the location), and then I'll create two sub-folders. One called 2006 02 07 Fairfax RAW, and one called 2006 02 07 Altered.

So:
    2006 02 07 Fairfax
    -- 2006 02 07 Fairfax RAW
    -- 2006 02 07 Fairfax Altered.

Then I save all the RAW data into the RAW folder. I process the shots I like (usually batch process) and save them as .PSD files into the main folder. Then I make fixes and changes, and put those few shots into the altered folders. Finally, I have two more folders elsewhere for files that have been prepared for printing (TIFF), or posting to my blog (JPEG).

I back up my data monthly.

So, can we compare workflow notes here? Am I insane? How are others working, RAW or not?

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    That sounds pretty close to what I have been doing.

RAW or initial JPEG files from the card go into a folder with date and or name. Sub folder for PS work, sub folders for both printing and web viewing.

Some even make back ups of the initial files, before doing anything else. I do this sometimes but only for important stuff.

3. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm almost the same aswell...but without RAW. I save my jpgs and then use subfolders for batch alterations.
    I have further folders for printing and uploading to my website.
    I don't back up monthly because I'm lazy but when i have enough to fill a DVD i burn the whole lot to a disc in one go

4. Innocence

Innocence TPF Noob!

i decided to search instead of new thread and i have an almost exact situation haha.

I went from JPEG to RAW a few weeks ago - just to see what all the fuss was about you know? haha...and well...

I like it! But I was thinking the process flow is really annoying how I have to do a conversion first - and store 2 copies.

I have since gone back to JPEGs. :)
    I am only a hobbyist photographer and I don't really see the need - as yet. Was hoping that I was doing something wrong but oh well...I guess you get what you pay for - in terms of time here.

5. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I place my original files in a folder by date, separate subfolder for work and final print. I backup everything to a separatte disk using Syncback SE (very versatile) and the originals only to an off-site Internet service.

6. burtharrris

burtharrris TPF Noob!

Iron Flatline, I do the EXACT same thing as you (except my folder is called prints, not altered :lol: ).

But a related question I have is the naming of files. They come off my camera as IMGP3467.RAW or whatever it will be. Do you guys save them into Tiffs of the same name?

What I would like to do is give them a code like I do my B&W film, date and number (20070312_0001). But then I realized the hard way that its almost impossible to find the Raw file it came from.

7. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I chuck out all the obvious losers, of which there are many) and rename every original file as year_month_day_Camera.ext (I use different backs)

eg 2007_01_28_D200.NEF

8. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    raw, tiff, jpeg, same numbers and name the folders to whatever the subjects and date, back up the lot to dvd.

9. shingfan

shingfan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    this is exactly what i do + i also add the a short name for the event....so my files are

YYYY-MM-DD_(EVENT)_###.NEF

YYYY-year
    MM - month
    DD - day
    (EVENT)-short event name
    ### - serial number