RE: First DSLR and a film camera?

Aruzuriel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok I posted a couple of weeks ago about buying my first DSLR. I rather certain that I am going to go with the Canon Rebel XSI. I got to handle it a bit and it felt great. I have heard that for someone who is rather new to photography it is a good start.

Now what I need to know is what should I buy. I have about $800-$900 to spend on it. Should I just get the kit lens and spend on more equipment for it like a pack for it and such or should I go with the camera body and a better quality lens. Not that it will change my opinion too much because I am rather set with my budget and wont be able to go for something more expensive but what kind of features will I be lacking with higher end cameras?(Just wondering)

Lastly I also am looking to buy a decent film SLR. I figured I would buy used but wondered what models would be a good choice. Any other help or input on this would be appreciated.

The Rebel is a good camera, i have never owned one but i have used one before and i liked it alot. If you do get one, try to find it at your local camera store, reason being if something is wrong with it they usually wont give you a hassle. As for Stuff to get with it. Go to local store and see if they have a kit, they seem to be the best deal, I got my Nikon d40 locally with 2 lenses memory and a bag for $615. As for Higher end cameras the major difference is usually Functions and Image Quality. If this is going to be your first DSLR definitely go with the rebel or even a d40 for a bit cheaper. You will not be disappointed with either.

The XS and XSI are both great cameras and, from what I've read and seen, should be able to take you a long ways in the photography world. I am a Nikon guy, so I will leave the lens suggestions to the Canonites, as I remember reading at least one thread mentioning certain (not-too-expensive) mid grade lenses being better than the kit lenses that come with Canon Rebel cameras. Whether you get a standard zoom, big zoom, something in the middle, or fixed lens, you will want to stick to one brand of camera (at least for now), especially if you plan on sharing lenses between you dSLR and film SLR. If you go Canon, something like the Elan or even a film Rebel should do you good, from what I hear. I have found good deals on KEH.com and ebay for my film camera wants and needs (ha!). If you go for a manual focus film SLR, I think the Canon MF lenses (and cameras) have a totally different mount from the AF cameras and lenses so you'd have to get separate lenses for each camera....or you could go Nikon :twisted:

Any EOS film camera (dating from 1987 onward) will use the same Canon EF lenses that current Canon DSLRs use. EF-S lenses are designed for the smaller sensor in Rebel and EOS xxD DSLRs, and they will not mount on EOS film SLR cameras or full-frame DSLRs. The EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens is one of those. Since the 18-55mm lens adds only about $75 to the price of the kit versus the camera body alone, it's still a good value to get the kit, even if you could only use the lens on the DSLR.

The $100 EF 50mm f/1.8 is Canon's lightest and cheapest lens, but its optical quality makes it worth the small investment.

The $390 Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 would work well on either film or digital cameras.

Cheap telephoto lenses for full-frame sensors tend to disappoint optically. The $210 Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO half-Macro might be okay, if your budget is tight, but its performance at the borders of the full-frame image isn't great.

Well I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on the extra lens that comes with this kit from B&H, would this be a good buy and I don't just mean price but quality of the lens. Canon | EOS Rebel XSi (a.k.a. 450D) SLR Digital Camera Kit | B&H

If not I think for my situation and budget the kit lens may be the best choice because I can always purchase one later. Does anyone agree of disagree with this? Also for the DSLR what would be some of the fundamental equipment I should buy. I mean I know memory card, bag and such but anything else I should get now or will my needs come up as I go along and get more into photography.

Also any specific models of some film SLRs that would be good to buy? Are there any where I could share then lenses for both cameras(if I get the XSi) Again thanks for the help so far.

The EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens in the kit that you linked is a pretty decent starter telephoto lens, but as an EF-S lens, it can only be mounted to DSLRs with the APS-C size sensor. The EF-S lenses cannot be used with a film camera. For your film camera (or full-frame DSLR), you also want to avoid DC lenses from Sigma, Di-II lenses from Tamron and DX lenses from Tokina. These are all made specifically for cameras with the smaller sensor (like the Rebel XSi or EOS 40D).

The EF 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 and Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 lenses linked above would all work well on either film or digital SLRs from the Canon EOS or Rebel lines. You could interchange them whenever you wanted.

For now I think I am just going to get the kit lens and go from there. Also was wondering what other accessories should I get with the camera right away?

Just got my camera yesterday, ended up getting it from Bestbuy. I love it already.

I did just go with a kit lens, 8gb memory and a decent sized shoulder bag. My parents ended up paying for it all actually. So now I am looking into buy a lens or two because I had money put aside for using towards the camera.

Haven't played with it too much yet but plan on spending this week getting use to this and then this weekend I am taking a week long vacation up north(Northern Wisconsin). Hoping to get some nice shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back