re-shooting at the same location

Alex_B

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just realised that I do not like to seriously re-shoot images I did in the past.

Here is the story: About 3 years ago I shot a harbour scene with some very special light around sunset. I did not have a tripod with me, so technically speaking the image is not perfect, but it is still one of my favourites. Now it happens to me that now, 3 years later, I spend a lot of time near where I took that image. Same time of the year, same location, and in some nights even the same light. So when I knew I would be back here, I was really looking forward to re-shoot, but this time technically more perfect.

But I just cannot do it ... seems there is a psychological barrier for me to go back there at the same time, same light and redo it.

Anyone got similar experience?

Maybe it is because the first shot was taken several years ago ... maybe it is since I feel like copying from another person (myself 3 years ago). Don't know. It just feels strange!

Hmmm, not sure. Maybe its because you actually got a shot you were happy with?

I've been shooting a bridge over a river near me for a short while, probably about 5 times i've been for a shooting session now in different lights. I know it's got much more potential hence why I keep going back, i'm just waiting for that magical light backdrop to set it off I guess.

I think once i've got a good shot i'm happy with that i'll be in a similar position to you and not want (or not beable) to shoot it again.

There was a recent thread along the same lines:

For me, photography is about discovery, and to return to re-make a photograph that had a technical problem or I just missed the shot, whatever, would be for only one reason, to make a good photograph. And, that is never the reason for making photographs, for me at least.

Seems like I plan to go back places a lot and re-shoot because I usually mess something up or am not happy with what I did. Only to arrive and not have the same opportunity to get the same shot. Thats what disappoints me a little.

I just shot a lighthouse two days in a row and it was actually better on the second day because there was a cloud that cut down some of the harsh light that had caused me previous problems.

Even if I'm happy with a photograph, I'll go back to the same place if I have nothing to do. I'm always learning new things with photography, so I may be happy with the shot, but I could try a new technique I learned or try a different perspective.

I revisit the same subjects and locations all the time. I change, and the places change. Lighting is different with changes in weather, time of day, season, etc.... Even if I'm happy with previous photos from a location, I may return and try something different. It would seem strange to me to tell someone "I can't make a portrait of you, because we did it last year." What is a landscape but a portrait of an area.

I love going back, it allows me to see how I've changed as a photographer. I like reshooting a different subject again and again. Sometimes I use a wider lens, other times something longer, but usually it's just a whole different way of seeing a place. That's not just about photography, but other experiences in my life affect how I perceive a location or the people within it.

I'll occasionally go for the exact same composition and set-up, but only to try something technically different.

interesting to get your feelings / ideas about this, thanks :) :)

Maybe I should just force myself to do it. maybe I am just afraid that the new shot might be not as good as the old in the end ;)

interesting to get your feelings / ideas about this, thanks :) :)

Maybe I should just force myself to do it. maybe I am just afraid that the new shot might be not as good as the old in the end ;)

I know a guy who knows a guy, who reshoots a few of the same places every now and again. He said to the guy I know, to tell me, to tell you, it's like going to see an old freind you love more everytime you visit.

Thats what I heard.

I have favorite locations that I revisit all the time. Generally the shots are much different. I will re shoot some shots, but for me it is a 50 50 chance wether they come out better or not. Personally; re shooting the same subject or location yields better results because I am more familiar with it. I am reminded of the phrase "you can never stand in the same river twice". It is forever changing.

Love & Bass

I have a favorite spot at the local Zoo. It is a landscape shot and it does change just a bit every season. It gives me a feeling of peace to see how nature makes subtle changes, but stays much the same. Lighting is always just a little different. Point of view I guess.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back