re-usable chemicals

nagoshua

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Right, ive got nearly everything i need for my darkroom, just need some black out material, tongs, measuring cylinders and of course a few more rolls to process then im all set.

One thing i have been wondering is which chemicals are reusable? I have paper dev, film dev, stop and fixer. Which of these can i store after using and re-use because im a lil stumped on this one.

Also, is it worth buying a wash aid?

Most film dev can be used as stock, returning it to the bottle after use. But you have to keep a note of how much film you put through it as it's activity slows the more it's used and you have to adjust the times.
If you dilute it for use then the diluted amount will only process one film and you have to throw it away. Which method you use is personal preference.
Fix can be re-used but again keep a note of the number of films/prints and adjust times.
Paper developer is diluted for use and so is disposed of when you have finished.
Storing chemicals properly is important. Very important for developers. They absorb oxygen from the air and will stop working if they absorb too much, so airtight containers are essential. Dev should also be kept out of bright light as this can accelerate oxidation.
Try and store all chemicals at 20C - this makes it easier to get them to the right temp for processing.
Do not let them get too cold as they can throw deposits of crystals and these can cause problems.

well i have ID11 powder film dev, which i have to mix up as a one litre batch, so do you mean once ive mixed it up i can only use it once? or can i keep the mixed up stuff in an airtight bottle?

By diluting it do you just mean diluting it further than it says on the packet? or will i have to throw away the film developer i dont use?

Also, im not quite sure about the charts on illfordphoto.com, does 1+3 mean one part stock developer and 3 parts water, does 1+1 mean 1 part developer and one part water etc..?

If you mix up a powder developer as instructed on the packet it is called a stock solution - a fancy name for neat or undiluted. In this form it is re-useable.
If you dilute it further it is called 'one shot' which means you use it just once.
If you dilute it further to dev a film you just dilute as much stock developer as you need and keep the rest for later use.
For example:
You need 10 fl oz of dev for a film and you are using the dev diluted.
The dilution you choose to use is 1:1.
That is one part stock to one part water.
Take 5 fl oz stock and add 5 fl oz water.
When you have used this mixture to process the film you throw it away.
The rest of the stock solution you store for later use.

Correct. In dilution charts the first figure is always the chemical. So 1:3 or 1+3 = 1 part stock solution added to 3 parts water.

ID11 1+1 is my standard developer. I find that it will keep for a long time as stock solution, months if need be, but that may be because I keep it in brown glass bottles that are filled right up so there is as little air in them as possible.

I have 150 ml bottles which are just right to make up 300 ml of 1+1 working solution for 35mm film. Then I have 250 ml bottles which are perfect to make up 500 ml of 1+1 for 120 film. I bought them from Retrophotographic here in the UK, but you may be able to find something similar - they are called Winchester bottles here, and I think they are known as Boston bottles in the US.

Most reactions

Back