Reaching Milestones - How do you handle them?

That's not giving me the warm and fuzzies.

Sometimes the Yank to Brit translation can be misinterpreted, so allow me to rephrase the last reply please, Hertz.

I never meant to tease you sir. It’s just that Gandhi, the Dalia Lama, Mother Teresa and such are at the pinnacle. I mean, I have no doubt your body of work is to be quite insightful but, ashamedly, I have not taken the time to investigate at this point.

I also have all confidence that you make gainful strides in your day to day endeavours.

:lol:

Don't worry, I have a robust and bizarre sense of fun and it was I who was teasing.
I sometimes pretend to be upset when I'm not - Brit humour.

You have to excuse Anty - she's Canadian ;)

Does anyone else have particular actions, thoughts or feelings when certain milestones of age are reached? Exhilaration...despondency…inward reflections…outward displays of emotion…things to come…things that have passed…

[snip]

Do you have any?

I've always felt older on birthdays with an odd number than on those with an even number. So turning 28 and 38 felt better than 27 and 37 had done. I don't know why this should be, but it is a very strong sensation and I feel it now as I wait to turn 43.

Generally I've always felt a sense of waiting for life to start, that I'm missing something that I can't quite describe, like I'm catching a glimpse of a better world from the corner of my eye. Now I'm in my 40s I've realised that actually things are pretty good - OK, my body needs a bit more care than it did 20 years ago and I'm going to need bi-focal glasses before too much longer, but I earn as much as I probably ever will, I have a great family, I'll be paying off my mortgage in about 10 months time and then will be completely debt free, and maturity brings a confidence that I didn't have when I was younger.

On the other hand, I'm probably getting towards the half-way mark in my allotted span, so my mind is turning to the best way to spend the next 40. I'm just happy to have some options to choose from.

Thom

Dude, you do NOT look like you are 50!! Is the whiskey keeping you looking so youthful?? Is that your secret? (please say YES! ;))

My 20's were a blur. My 30's were a blur with a family included.

I am almost 40, and even though I am experiencing the heaviest amount of stress in my life right now, I am also enjoying the best times of my life.

I am not a huge celebrator of anything, especially birthdays. I see each day as a growth experience, and I dont place emphasis on a particular day to celebrate.

I wouldnt trade any part of my life as I have experienced it thus far. Im exactly where I need to be right now. And I let the future take care of itself.

Cheers, my friend! Happy Birthday!! :)

NJ

If I had to of known, I was going to live this long, I would of taken better care of myself.

I'm not sure 17 counts as a milestone, but I totally get to experience that pretty soon. Although, to me, birthdays are just when I get some gifts, I don't really care about my age, it's only a number. It's not so much what the number is, it's the maturity level with which I represent myself that matters to me.

Most reactions

Back