voodoocat

))<>((
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.voodoocat.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The Serious Critique Forum was created as a place to post your best photos for an in depth review from our forum members. If you want a place to dump the random shots from your vacation, go to the photo gallery and post.

What should I post?

Post a single photograph. If you want to compare two angles, two crops, etc, it is acceptable to post more than one. No explanation of the photograph is necessary. If you would like to explain your thought behind the image, you may do so.

How often can I post?

The idea is to post what you consider some of your best work or something you're just not sure about. Even the best photographers don't have 5 masterpieces a day. With that in mind I don't forsee an issue

They weren't nice to my photo :cry:

Use the critisizm and grow. That is what this forum is all about

GREAT idea for a new forum!!

I'd like to throw in one or two thoughts, if I may. Feel free to split this off or delete it if you deem necessary, Mods. :)

I like the 'warning' to posters to expect a form of 'brute honesty' in this forum, and I think that's the way to go. That being said, I think a certain measure of decorum can and should be expected from the critiquers. When I put a photo up here, I expect it to be picked apart, but at the same time I don't expect someone to simply say 'this sucks' without some constructive criticism to back it up.

I always tell my students this as we start a novel or something--It's perfectly okay to not like what we read, but be ready with solid reasons why you don't like it.

(Does that all make sense, or is it just rehashing the already established guidelines? :scratch: )

Shark said:
I think a certain measure of decorum can and should be expected from the critiquers. When I put a photo up here, I expect it to be picked apart, but at the same time I don't expect someone to simply say 'this sucks' without some constructive criticism to back it up.

I absolutely agree.

Being that this forum (much unlike most of the others) was created with a very specific purpose in mind, we intend to keep things fairly strict in this section. If we see anyone with a "this sucks" type of comment, it should be(and will be) deleted.

On the other side of the coin, I want to make it clear to people that are posting that this forum is for specific shots that you want heavy critique on. As Voodoocat mentioned, these should be posts of a single subject (either one shot or a couple of shots of the same subject with various crops or exposures). Generally speaking, I would prefer to limit this section to 1 or 2 photos per person per day. If you want to display more, please use the general gallery.

That being said, have fun and don't be offended if we delete any posts that we don't consider to be on topic!

voodoocat said:
The idea is to post what you consider some of your best work.

I'm really glad to see the forum and I like the rules as laid out, but I have to disagree with the above. I think that what we consider our best work will generally have less questions (to ourselves), as we already consider it our best work. I think the forum would be more useful for our work in progress that is teetering on the edge, where we can get input on it and be able to move it in a direction where it can perhaps then become part of our best work (hopefully!). It's really good, but how can I make it great? Not to say that our best work couldn't be improved, of course! :)

Thank you for creating this forum. I've found that people are still pretty polite about critiques anyway. It is nice to a have a forum where you can say "what's wrong with this" or "this isn't working like I'd like, any suggestions?". It's much easier to get advice that way.

In the photo gallery you're kind of saying "look at my cool shot", it's harder to criticize and still seem polite.

Lets face it gents, no matter how good each of us thinks our work is , there is always room for improvement and a place like this where people are genuine with their critisisms will only help. I agree with sharky, don't beat around the bush, tell it as it is but support your comments. I can't wait to start posting some of my garbage, Sorry, 'work' otherwise how do i know what pushes other peoples buttons.

definitely any comments should be fine and should have reaosns- if soemone just said this sucks and thats it well that isn't good.

But if someone says this sucks because ................. that is fine. When i post images in this forum it is because i want to know what i could have done better or differently. Constructive critiscism is exactly what i want when i post photos and i think most of the other people on here do as well.

dalebe said:
can anyone tell me why certain images i post keep dissapearing?

I had the same problem when posting pics out from multiply.com

I am now trying with freepichosting.com. It seems work better

Some hosts have bandwidth limitations, which may be the problem. If you use more than a certain amount of bandwidth over a given period of time, they stop serving out photos/web pages for a while. That could be the cause of what you are seeing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back