Reading the Final Chapter

Patriot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I goofed up while experimenting with stand development. I processed this roll of Portra800 in Xtol by mistake, I wasn't paying attention. This was the result. Not too bad. I did have to reduce the highlights in post. I believe I maybe added too much developer in my mix or left it in too long. 90 minutes

I thought it was going to come out horrible wrong.

C&C welcomed

Looks perfectly cooked to me. I find myself wishing there weren't people in the background, because they break up what feels like a peaceful moment.

Yeah, the contrast seems a bit extreme for such a tranquil scene and sedate pose. tahis is a classic type of shot that has been done for many,many decades with a vbook, and a pretty lady in a nice dress and shoes. I think Dan Ostergren hit the nail on the head...the people in the background at the left kind of impact the shot. Yet, in one way, the background people and their activity makes the photo look likeit was taken on a busy college or university campus.

I think a very slight burn-down on the top and top left corner of this could help focus more attention onto her and her reading of the book pose. ANd a slight bit lower contrast might help make the photo feel more "welcoming". tahis looks like what we used to call Grade 4 paper, withb a Max Black...I think it would look more scene-appropriate if it looked as if it had been printed out on Grade 3 enlarging paper. The beauty of digitgal imaging is that this image could likely be massaged and tweaked a LOT more-easily than if it were darkroom printed!

A touch too contrasty ... a touch too over-developed ... but overall a nice image. As you stated, "not too bad". A very nice feel to the photo.

Thank you for the feed back. I will reduce the contrast in post. I wonder if the contrast came from being over developed or being it was a c-41 film originally.

I do with the people were in the background, but it was a crowded day at the park. I didn't know it was senior picture day so the area was swamped.

Most reactions

Back