Ready to buy, stuck between 6 cameras

I've also read that the d40/x is inferior to the d50. Not allowing a depth of field view, etc. What do yall think on that

uh... ya... that just answered it right there.... you should start looking at DSLR if your looking to get your feet wet....

It's always nice to have a little P&S around for light travel... but the P&S's you are looking at aren't little....

DSLR over P&S

-the ability to control your flash (bouncing, syncing, filling)
-the ability to take low light pictures (higher reliable ISO)
-the ability to create stories with your images using depth of field
-the ability to free yourself from shutter lag
-the ability to expand your hobby/work by adding on to the system

and more that I have most likely forgotten...

One important one... the time to turn on a dSLR, raise it and shoot in a photojournalistic manner is under 2 seconds. Start up times are in tenths of a second. Most P&S I know have turn on times measured by lunar cycles... lol.

Ive read the d50 can use any of the nikkon lenses but the 40 is only 7. and i read the only thing the extra 10mp d40x is good for is when doing extreme cropping.

just to play devil's advocate: although i also agree with purchasing a dslr, it's the lenses that may 'nickel and dime' you.

most dslr kits come with a very basic lens that may not serve your purposes... it's best to look into what kind of lenses you are going to need.

IMO, if you have time to learn, i definitely say, go dslr.

If all you need is a snapshot of certain things, those p&s cameras may be more practical.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My grandmother has a D40, and one of my buddies has a D50, of the two the D50 fits me better. Although I have limited use with either.

If money is no object I would not get a kit. I would get a body only and purchase good lens. the two lens in that kit to my knowledge are dirt cheap all plastic and not at all fast.

Get a d40, d50, d60, or d80 with an 18-200 lens and you should be able to cover almost any situation, add an external flash and your good to go.

If money is really no object get a body only with whatever Nikons equivalent to canons 24-70 f/2.8 L and 70-200 f/2.8 IS L and you will have some pro quality kit.

I actually have read those 2 lenses are really good, circuit city has it with the 18-55mm lens so I think i'll try it out for a few days to see if i like the camera il buy it on line. Why do you say those are bad lenses all the reviews i read and pics said it was great.

Image quality may very well be great.

But the kit lens from Nikon and Canon that I have come in contact with do not have high quality construction.

If your looking to dive in head first and have the funds and desire to keep in this hobby, then you might as well skip kit lens all together as eventually you will want quality fast glass.

Im on my second 3rd party wide angle zoom. Ive had a sigma 24-70 f/2.8 and now a tamron 28-75 f/2.8. Both of which take great photos, but are not built as tough as their canon or nikon counter parts.

My Tamron is brand new from christmas, I use it on 3 cameras, and it gets used and abused, its a tool, not some item that looks pretty on a shelf. The focus ring is starting to get loose, and when fully extended the barrel wobbles a bit.

Now Ive probably got a few thousand shots with it and to me it was probably worth the $350 or whatever was spent on it, but soon enough im going to need to have it fixed or replaced.

If you going to use whatever you buy as a tool, and it seems you are if your going to be working in the business not just taking snap shots, your going to want something that lasts and takes great pics.

I here you, i think I'm going to try that kit though because of the things i read on both. For my first slr i think that kit would be a good buy. Especially since the camera by itself is like 460-80. I'm going to go to circuit city and get it try it for a few weeks and see how i like it. If i just buy the body are these good lenses

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-18-50mm...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1212111702&sr=8-3

My grandmother has a D40, and one of my buddies has a D50, of the two the D50 fits me better. Although I have limited use with either.

If money is no object I would not get a kit. I would get a body only and purchase good lens. the two lens in that kit to my knowledge are dirt cheap all plastic and not at all fast.

Get a d40, d50, d60, or d80 with an 18-200 lens and you should be able to cover almost any situation, add an external flash and your good to go.

If money is really no object get a body only with whatever Nikons equivalent to canons 24-70 f/2.8 L and 70-200 f/2.8 IS L and you will have some pro quality kit.

Damn.... your grandmother has a D40? She's hip...

IMHO, buying dSLR for better images - i second that.. it is because, when you jump into dSLR, you'll notice that you'll need far more equipments and accessories in order to get you what you want in the first place.. learning process is one of the biggest thing.. you'll find a bunch of pictures you've taken in the first month or two is all junk.. nevertheless, a kit lens will just enough to provide you of what you're looking for, i bet you'll find the limit within a month or two.. and dont forget, in dSLR, you have the ability to change the lens, that is what SLR is all about - Single Reflex Lens.. and when it comes to more lens, it goes along with more skills, more khowledge, more space, more kgs, more bags, more accessories and everything in between.. (you also might be buying a 2nd body!) just my 2 cents..

Ok I decided to differently get the nikon d40. I've read reviews saying that the nikon 70-300mm vr is better then the sigma, so which lenses should i get?

Most reactions

Back