Ready to Kill My Dog.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Saddlebreds4me, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Saddlebreds4me

Saddlebreds4me TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ok - this is just a vent and if there is a more appropriate place for this, by all means mods, please move it.

I went out to dinner tonight with some good friends - I've been in all week, thought I would treat myself to a night with the girls.

Back in October of last year, I rescued a one year old Basset Hound - she really is quite a nice dog and I already have an 8 year old Basset - so I'm familiar with the breed and their capabilities - so I know we are still in a puppy stage and that EVERYTHING needs to be out of her reach.

Believe me when I say my fireplace mantle looks like a garage sale - with remotes, magazines, Yankee candles, books, etc...

I came home tonight to find a pair of my slippers totally ripped apart - not acceptable but definitely my fault for leaving them out.

THEN I FOUND MY SB800 SPEEDLIGHT IN HER DOG BED - I almost threw up when I saw it. I had all of my equipment securely placed out of her reach (or so I thought) and there the flash was, with a cracked shield on the flash - other than that, it looked ok. I haven't tested it yet.

I feel ill and just had to vent - don't know if anyone here can relate - I love this dog dearly but tonight, she tested my limits.

As I type I am headed for a glass of cabernet.

I went to Nikon school today and was really happy with how the day went and that I learned so much...now this.

UFB.

Thanks for letting me vent - and yes it's ok to laugh!!! I had to or else I'd cry!

2. Mgw189

Mgw189 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    LOL sorry I can totally relate to that. We have 4 dogs and they are always doing things like this. Luckily we dont have the destructive issues but they are clumsy and always knocking stuff down and over. My camera has been the victim a few times. Luckily no damage was done to my camera.

3. Saddlebreds4me

Saddlebreds4me TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    steez...

I think it was more that I came home to a disaster with the slippers - so there was "slipper residue" if you will from stem to stern in this condo and then to see the flash - I think it was more emotional than physical - but you know it was that sinking, ill feeling that it had been destroyed.

Having said that you are 100% right - it's JUST STUFF - it really shouldn't matter - there are much bigger things in life - I just lost my brother six months ago - I guess a flash really doesn't matter at all. Thank you for your post.

4. EhJsNe

EhJsNe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    duude. holy crap man. I would absolutely die if Shammy ever got ahold of any of my camera stuff. (well, my came with an old Olypus trip 35. I beleive its GAF MEMOLITE...probaly worth no more than 10 bucks but HOLY MACARONI IS IT BRIGHT! and my dog is a Shih Tzu....so i dont think hes going to get onto my dresser to well....)

5. KD5NRH

KD5NRH TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Look at it this way; if you ship the flash to me untested, you'll never know if she actually broke it or not, so you can just go on with life feeling that you've done a good deed.

:D

6. MBasile

MBasile TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My dog (also a Basset!) has gone through 2.5 remotes, and a Blackberry Pearl which was not mine.

7. Jon0807

Jon0807 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have two mischievous dogs myself and yes they do get into things that get me very upset so I do understand your frustration. The big guy in my avatar used to get into so much trouble when he was a puppy and even now at 5 years old he still acts like a puppy. But in the end it's really our own fault. You can't blame the dog for something that could've been prevented. They don't know they're chewing on an expensive piece of equipment. All they know is that they HAVE to chew something.

8. Saddlebreds4me

Saddlebreds4me TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you for making me smile :D.

Thank you. Everyone. Really - maybe she was just telling me I needed to get clear on what is really important.

9. ypperin

ypperin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think I would have thrown up..... items that cost more than 100.00 here have to be researched and budgeted and totally saved up for. A 400+ flash would have looked like throwing 400.00 down the drain and would have been devestating for me.

Hope the flash functions okay!

10. Saddlebreds4me

Saddlebreds4me TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    MBasile - nice to meet another slave - I mean person owned by a Basset!
    :mrgreen:

I think I failed to mention in my original post that she also got a hold of the second house phone. (AND ate my aunt's cell phone that I had to replace...I'm convinced she's running a 900 line out of this condo) Keep in mind, that in order to do that, she HAD to have counter surfed, and pulled the phone off the bar - yeah...that would be the second phone this week. It's a good thing I have four handsets.

It's a good thing I am so in love with this breed - I'd be majorly tested otherwise...I think.

Do you have photos of your hound anywhere? I'd love to see him/her.

11. Saddlebreds4me

Saddlebreds4me TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks so very much - needless to say the holidays were tough...really tough.

You are so right - it's just stuff. It's not under warranty and I think it will be ok, but I really needed that perspective - so thanks so much and for your concern. It's very much appreciated.

12. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow! How did she get out of her crate to get to your stuff while you were away? :mrgreen:

I have a 6 month old yellow Lab. We crate trained her from the day we brought her home. She loves her crate and goes in for bed at night and any time we leave the house without her. There are times she goes in just to take a nap. Other times, she seemed like she was restless and nervous and wouldn't calm down until I told her to "go to bed" and she promptly went to her crate and went to sleep.

Crate training is the key, is a godsend, and the dog will love it (once she gets use to it.)