Ready to shoot weddings... problem is...how to start?

Do you go to a church, or know people who do? Ask around, maybe do an engagement shoot shoot for free, (but make some money on the prints), then after they see the photos, make an offer and book the wedding. Especially in a smaller town once you develop a reputation at a church, you name will be the first to come up when planning a wedding at that church.

-Ryan

if you can shadow do it! You may want to even look in the next few towns/cities over (they will view you as less of a competitor).

Otherwise, students are poor and desperate and it seems as if all the youngcouples at my church are getting hitched, so take advantage of the spring fever :lol:

Do you go to a church, or know people who do? Ask around, maybe do an engagement shoot shoot for free, (but make some money on the prints), then after they see the photos, make an offer and book the wedding. Especially in a smaller town once you develop a reputation at a church, you name will be the first to come up when planning a wedding at that church.

-Ryan

if you can shadow do it! You may want to even look in the next few towns/cities over (they will view you as less of a competitor).

Otherwise, students are poor and desperate and it seems as if all the youngcouples at my church are getting hitched, so take advantage of the spring fever :lol:

I do go to church, and the main/largest one in town. As a matter of fact, my wife is applying for the church's wedding coordinator position :) that would be the ultimate hookup..hehe.. I am also well respected in the church, so my name will get passed around I am sure.

Towns over... yes, that would be great. I am familiar with Kansas City where I grew up, and it's only 2.5 hours from here. I will try to contact some photographers there. That would be super cool.

I talked with a college couple today who is getting married in May, but they already paid their photographer. They did say that they would have used me though if they would have known sooner. Bummer. I've just gotta get one...just one... A couple weeks ago, another guy told me he wanted to reserve me to do his wedding...but he's not even engaged yet :) C'mon....

I started a few years ago by doing several friend's weddings. Basically, you do it for "free" but you gain VERY VERY valuable experience and portfolio material. Just ask that they pass a good recommendation on if they like the pictures. Now a little checklist to consider. I know it's missing a few things, but I've had a few beers and it's a start.

Body - Naturally
Wide Angle - If you use Canon Bodies that take EF-S like the 40D I suggest the 10-22mm USM
Midrange - Again, 28-135mm IS USM is AMAZING
Telephoto - If you've got the $$$ the 70-200L IS USM is more useful than you would have ever imagined
F/1.8 or < Lens - 50mm 1.8 Canon, it's $100 and worth $300
Lights - Studio continuous possibly, slave strobes definitely
Really good cases for everything - Pelican all the way
An LLC - Brides are crazy, cover your butt and pay Uncle Sam
Contract - Pay a lawyer, it's better than taking your chances
Be patient - It's going to take a few years to get really going

It sounds like you've got most of the bases covered so I would focus on starting an LLC and getting a contract drafted. Another thing you should really consider is a website. Portfolios are hard to carry around all the time, but a business card with your url on it are not. A convincing website can do a LOT by the way of getting people to take you seriously. Trust me I had that problem, I'm 22 and look 16 when I shave. People end up showing other people your website and then they get the third party's reaction to your work without seeing your face. It's great for getting known for your work and nothing else. You probably won't have this problem, but a website good website is still a WONDERFUL thing to have.

Also, try hitting up a book store and picking up a good book on digital wedding photography, the more recent the better.

I am sorry but you ARE wrong here. Personally I have been nothing but a part time weekdend wedding shooter and all the people I have worked for have made it a requirement to have backup gear in case something goes wrong.

Well, you got one thing right... its ENTIRELY personal. I've done 3 so far with ONE camera and done so successfully. As I said, if you plan to do this long term, it is important to have backups for a couple of good reasons. If you are doing it to find out if weddings are for you and doing it as a second shooter, its entirely optional. And PERSONALLY, thats the way I did it three times already without issues (just got a call this morning that it may soon be 4 times, and I am not getting a backup camera, thats guaranteed. ;) ).

Not having the lens won't let you get the shot, but there is nothing anyone can say to me that if you are trying it out, that you MUST have a second body. There is no law that says you MUST. It's just recommended as a safety or convenience. Not sure how you shoot, maybe you need a backup. I sure did not for what I was doing. If I was getting paid for this, sure, no prob. I am not getting paid for this, and I am not getting a second body for it. Strange... the client and photographer neither have issues with this point, I wonder why you would?

If you think that all people that are going to shoot as seconds for reasons of experience, fun or just to see if it is something for them... ABSOLUTELY NEED a backup camera... I am about to disappoint you... yet again. :)

Well, you got one thing right... its ENTIRELY personal. I've done 3 so far with ONE camera and done so successfully. As I said, if you plan to do this long term, it is important to have backups for a couple of good reasons. If you are doing it to find out if weddings are for you and doing it as a second shooter, its entirely optional. And PERSONALLY, thats the way I did it three times already without issues (just got a call this morning that it may soon be 4 times, and I am not getting a backup camera, thats guaranteed. ;) ).

Not having the lens won't let you get the shot, but there is nothing anyone can say to me that if you are trying it out, that you MUST have a second body. There is no law that says you MUST. It's just recommended as a safety or convenience. Not sure how you shoot, maybe you need a backup. I sure did not for what I was doing. If I was getting paid for this, sure, no prob. I am not getting paid for this, and I am not getting a second body for it. Strange... the client and photographer neither have issues with this point, I wonder why you would?

If you think that all people that are going to shoot as seconds for reasons of experience, fun or just to see if it is something for them... ABSOLUTELY NEED a backup camera... I am about to disappoint you... yet again. :)

Since the OP has the backup issue covered I don't want this discussion to stray too far from his original question BUUUT. You say you have done 3 weddings without backup gear and I say you have been extremely lucky. I have had several occasions in my 5-7 years of PART TIME wedding experience where my excellent and professional gear (and I only say this because this kind of gear is supposed to be extra reliable) has broken down right in the middle of the ceremony. In this situation without backup gear you are screwed and I would have been. Do not think for a minute that people are going to take your part-time or beginner status into consideration when filing the lawsuit because they only have pictures up to the middle of their ceremony.

Again my apologies to the OP as you have this issue covered I just needed to answer this post.

Again my apologies to the OP as you have this issue covered I just needed to answer this post.

No problem, JIP. This is interesting...

I understand that if I am shadowing somebody, then a backup is not necessary...because I am only getting some of the pictures, and the main shooter is getting the main ones.

However, I would never do a wedding alone without a backup. Backup bodies are often cheap...you don't need a backup body with all the bells & whistles. I shoot with a 40D primarily, and got a 20D w/ a grip and 420EX for next to nothing compared to the headache it could save me. (just over $675 for the set) I can sell the 420 and grip for $250 total, so figure I paid about 425 for a great backup body, and a second camera to hold a different lens.

Exaaaactly and thats a hell of alot cheaper than a lawsuit. Alot of people think they can jump into this biz because it is easy money but there are alot of things to consider before making the leap.

How nice it is to live in a country where the population doesn't sue at the drop of a hat for every minor sneeze, and where discussions about my status and value in the wedding between me and the photographer and me and the clients is easily placed with a simple discussion.

I'm booked for #4 in June. :)

Exaaaactly and thats a hell of alot cheaper than a lawsuit. .

Speaking of lawsuit... I hope the OP considered insurance. I don't see it in the list. Definitely a necessity for any business in this sue happy world of ours.

This is good sense for any type of business.

Further note.... I have shadowed photographers on more than one occasion. As those posted earlier, that is the best way to build a professional business. There are many things I've learned about the business that I couldn't have otherwise.

How nice it is to live in a country where the population doesn't sue at the drop of a hat for every minor sneeze, and where discussions about my status and value in the wedding between me and the photographer and me and the clients is easily placed with a simple discussion.

I'm booked for #4 in June. :)

Congratulations on your booking. Are you shooting with somebody else, or taking this on alone?

Speaking of lawsuit... I hope the OP considered insurance. I don't see it in the list. Definitely a necessity for any business in this sue happy world of ours.

This is good sense for any type of business.

Further note.... I have shadowed photographers on more than one occasion. As those posted earlier, that is the best way to build a professional business. There are many things I've learned about the business that I couldn't have otherwise.

I didn't even think about insurance. I have an LLC set up, but that is for something different - an IT service I did for some businesses for awhile. (If I lose somebody's data I'm in big trouble). But, I have gotten out of some of that now that photography has kicked up.

So, can I just somehow use that LLC (Computers Anonymous, LLC) or do I need to have a relevant one? In other words, will the client ever see the business name? Is it just in the contract? I go by Keith Kelly Photography (as the race track gave me that name since I didn't have one)

Then, where do I get insurance? What do I look for in an insurance plan?

Good thought, USAYIT.

Congratulations on your booking. Are you shooting with somebody else, or taking this on alone?

4th time with the same gentleman. I'm not interested in going solo nor pro. I make more money at my current job than most photographers do in theirs. Photography is just a hobby and passion for me. :)

I do get the priviledge of meeting the B&G this weekend. I've been invited to the first photographer and client meeting to hash out expectations (I doubt that I will have much if anything to say... lol). This one is turning out to be quite interesting... I am seeing parts of the business that I did not expect to. The deal will be confirmed and signed this weekend with a deposit, as I understand.

Concerning the insurance, thats a darn good idea. Since I have no idea about that area, I would be tempted to talk to my broker, the one that handles my cars, house, motorcycles, whatever... At least it would give me an idea. Whatever you do, shop around. No matter what kind of insurance, they all have a broad range of prices and services. Some have better deals than others.

Great News!

I got hooked up with a wedding photographer! He is a lawyer, but does weddings on the side. http://www.apple-studios.com/

He said he'd love some free help :) but I'll have to work hard! That's fine, I am ready! Wahoo!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back