Ready to step up to a new camera, what to buy?

fragged3d

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.illusioncustomdesigns.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought a Sony A100 about a year ago and have since learned a lot about shooting and about my camera. I am in the last week of my photography class that has taught me a lot! I am thinking about purchasing an A700 2 lens kit and battery grip. Is this the best thing for me or is there something in the cannon flavor you think I would be happier with? I would like to keep the budget for the body under $2000.

Thanks,
Ryan

Nikon D300 no question but thats just what I would get.

Are you sure that you want to stick with Sony? If you only have a kit lens, then switching over to another brand could be totally feasible.

Are you sure that you want to stick with Sony? If you only have a kit lens, then switching over to another brand could be totally feasible.

He mentioned "Cannon flavor".

To the OP: I'd get the 5D or the D300, both under $2000 and amazing cameras. The D300 is a bit more up to date, but the 5D is full frame.

I don't have a problem changing brands but I don't want to lose quality, mega-pixels or features. I have always shot with Sony, I have classmates that have Cannon Rebels and I don't care for them compared to my Alpha. What is wrong with Sony? I have been looking quite a bit at Cannon but I don't know the models as well.

Nothing is wrong with Sony. It actually makes the sensors in Nikon cameras.

The main point here is pick what you are comfortable with. Like Antithesis stated, the D300 (Nikon) and 5D (Canon) are both under 2000.00. I chose Nikon because of the huge variety of high quality lenses available, and some people choose Canon for the same reason. But what matters most is the camera you like, so make sure you try all of them. (Rebels will feel VERY different from a 5D, believe me!)

I have to agree with harmony the 5D will feel very different from the rebels.And there will always be Canon and Nikon I cant say that about Sony yet

I have watched a whole bunch of videos on the different cameras and I have to say I am impressed with the nikon d300 but it has a few hold backs. The 5d is nice but I am still not sure of anything at this point. I want to make an informed purchase as this one will have to do me for 2 years.

Sony makes very nice cameras. Keep in mind that they are the reborn Konica-Minolta brand. There are thousands of great lenses available. Also, whenever Sony has entered a market they have built the reference standard - even if it failed. Beta vs VHS comes to mind... theirs was better. But look at what they do in music production equipment and video camera gear, and you will realize that on a pro-level they are absolute market leaders. 10 years from now there will be three big brands - Canon, Sony, and Nikon... possibly only two if Sony stops delivering to Nikon and they don't find an alternative sensor source.

Why move on to another camera? What type of photos do you want to take? Is it the camera or lens or you stopping you for getting the photos you want.

Sony makes very nice cameras. Keep in mind that they are the reborn Konica-Minolta brand. There are thousands of great lenses available. Also, whenever Sony has entered a market they have built the reference standard - even if it failed. Beta vs VHS comes to mind... theirs was better. But look at what they do in music production equipment and video camera gear, and you will realize that on a pro-level they are absolute market leaders. 10 years from now there will be three big brands - Canon, Sony, and Nikon... possibly only two if Sony stops delivering to Nikon and they don't find an alternative sensor source.

I was under the impression that Nikon had started manufacturing sensors, specifically the CMOS sensors in the d300 and d3.

I don't know much about Sony, the only thing that is really interesting is the ability to use older minolta lenes. That being said, there is also many generations of Nikon lenses that will fit the d300, and similar for Canon. Most people choose Nikon or Canon because they have a ton of support from aftermarket companies, and they are both widely used as the industry standard for professionals. That tends to say something about a brand. By all means, go try the cameras and figure out what works best for you, they all have somewhat similar controls, but one may feel the best.

Let me put it this way....
* there is nothing wrong with Sony/Konica/Minolta. They are wonderful cameras worthy of your attention. You liked Sony.
* Nikon users are biased (I've sold many)
* Canon users are biased (I've sold many.. owned a lot)

So what it comes down to is who is making the decision. Nikon shooters posting here. Canon shooters posting here. Or you?

You said "happy" .. that's an assessment only you can decide. The best thing is to try them out at the store and decide for yourself.

One drastic difference in design among the three is image stabilization. Canon and Nikon are in-lens (only certain lenses have it) Sony is in-body..

I would stick to Canon or Nikon. I know Sony makes Nikon sensors but Sony is new to th DSLR market. Maybe they will be around forever and become one of the "big three" maybe they wont. But before I dedicate myself to Sony I would let them get a couple more generations of bodies under there belt. That being said your probably only going to make the switch once unless you have loads of money to buy glass for each brand. My other reason to stick with Nikon or Canon is have you ever seen a true professional using a sony? Some might but I haven't met any and there has to be a reason for that.

I collerlate Sony to DSLRs as Nike to Golf. In th begining Nikes stuff was second rate, today they produce some fine equiptment but it took them a while. I would be pissed if I invested good money into one of there early iron sets. Its not a direct correlation but something to think about.

Correct. Sony has undercut similar cameras such as the Canon 40D with the Sony Alpha A350 at hundreds less. They have produced the best live view implimentation with no lag, blackout,or focus issues and the Dynamic Range Optimizer considerably reduces harsh dark shadows in bright daylight present in Canon shots. Their flagship camera with approx. 24 megapixels will be coming out sometime this year and it will probably undercut the Canon Mark III in price as well.

In lenses, with Minolta lenses, Sony lenses, Zeiss lenses, and Sigma lenses, all compatible with the Alpha series, you can purchase your own quality level.

Sony is determined to undercut and steal market share from Canon and Nikon and with design that appeals to users they have a good chance of succeding.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back