Real MP Quality

Newsted_01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have heard that with digital cameras, the true resolution is not what's actually written on the camera, on the box, or as advertised(i.e. 5 Mega Pixel). How do I know what the true resolution/quality of the digital camera? What is the real and true resolution on digital cameras?

Newsted

yes, that is true. there are some cheesy 10 megapixel point and shoots that you can find on ebay for only a couple hundred bucks, and then there are lower megapixel count professional DSLRs such as canon's 4.5mp 1d and Nikon's 4 mp D2H which still go for a couple thousand at least because of their far superior image quality (and many other reasons of course). the reason being is that more megapixels do not create better looking images, it just creates larger ones (i.e. a quality 8mp sensor can render images printable at larger sizes than a quality 3mp sensor can). Image quality (i'm assuming that's what you mean by resolution...resolution actually has to do with the amount of pixels, but that's not what you're asking about obviously) has much more to do with how a sensor handles noise, contrast, and detail. The only true way to know about a digital camera's image quality is to research them individually.

Well, I am looking for picture quality mainly in prints, cause I know even a 3.2MP camera can create nice pics on the computer. I know that a larger lens is much better. I have been told to look into Canon's and Nikon's, but I want a minicam, cause I have a manual SLR, but can't take that everywhere(i.e. clubs). I color correct everything myself on Photoshop, so, I just care for the resolution.

Image quality and therefore print quality is much better with a DSLR camera, over a digi-cam. The main reason is the size of the sensor...not the pixel count. The bigger sensors produce cleaner images, especially at higher ISO settings. With most digi/cams, ISO 400 is very noisey...but the newest DSLRs are much better at ISO 800 or 1600...and some (like the 20D) can shoot at 3200.

Well, I plan to print the usual 4x6, and the odd 5x7, but I would like to have the option to print an 8x10, and not have to worry about how blurry it might turn out. I know that a DSLR will create the best images, but I am looking for a point and shoot/compact digicam. I already have a manual SLR, but SLR's are not vey versatile when it comes to travelling light.

Today 07:49 AMBig MikeImage quality and therefore print quality is much better with a DSLR camera, over a digi-cam. The main reason is the size of the sensor...not the pixel count. The bigger sensors produce cleaner images, especially at higher ISO settings. With most digi/cams, ISO 400 is very noisey...but the newest DSLRs are much better at ISO 800 or 1600...and some (like the 20D) can shoot at 3200

You mention "size of the sensor." How is that measured, and what would be considered a high end size.. if that's correct.

If you check out www.dpreview.com you can compare all the specs of just about any digital camera.

The camera I have, the 20D, has a sensor that is 22.5 x 15.0 mm and is 8.2 MP

For example, the compact digi-cam, Canon S80 has a sensor that is 7.18 x 5.32 mm...and is 8.0 MP

Although both cameras will produce about the same size image...the 20D will produce better image quality...especially at higher ISO.

You will probably be able to get great 4x6 & 5x7 (even 8x10) prints from a good digi-cam. Of course it's subjective, some people's idea of a great print is just not acceptable to others.

There are other reasons why I prefer a DSLR (or film SLR) though.
In darker places (i.e. Clubs) you would almost have to use the flash...and the flash on those cameras is so close to the lens, it makes for terrible flat lighting. The shutter lag on most of those cameras is quite slow. It's hard to capture the perfect moment if you have to wait for the camera.

Well, it seems that DSLR's have a different measuring system. DSRL's have two dimensions(in mm's) when measuring sensor size, while digicams have one dimension(in inches). But looking around, it seems the ideal censor size is 1/1.8 inch CCD. I am currently looking into the Nikon Coolpix 7900. I like the design, the look, and Nikon seems to make great prints. Any thoughts? Know anyone who has this camera?

I think I read that some of the latest, higher end digital point-n-shoots are going to have the larger x1.6 sensor of the DSLRs. I don't know which ones, but I'm sure that's a feature that would be promoted.

Newsted_01 said:
Well, it seems that DSLR's have a different measuring system. DSRL's have two dimensions(in mm's) when measuring sensor size, while digicams have one dimension(in inches). But looking around, it seems the ideal censor size is 1/1.8 inch CCD. I am currently looking into the Nikon Coolpix 7900. I like the design, the look, and Nikon seems to make great prints. Any thoughts? Know anyone who has this camera?

Well, I'd say that the ideal sensor size, is as big as possible. The best digital cameras have sensors that are as big as 35mm film...or even bigger (for medium format cameras).

However, you may not be able to afford that type of thing, and you may be completely satisfied with a digi-cam like the 7900.

OK, now I seem to want the 7.1 Canon Elph. I am going nuts with all these digi models.

Most reactions

Back