Real music

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by monkeykoder, Jan 3, 2009.

1. monkeykoder

monkeykoder TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm trying to find some of those songs out there that do what music is supposed to do the kind that, like all great art, force you to feel something, something that pulls at your heartstrings, something that lifts you up or smashes you down. It's a lot to ask but I think it is possible to find much more than I already have.

2. K_Pugh

K_Pugh No longer a newbie, moving up!

There was one William Orbit album, I can't remember the name but it was purely instrumental with a little vocal in one or two songs but nothing really.. that's an emotional album when listened to correctly.

Joanna Newsom - Ys ... It pulls you in, throws you about and spits you out. Once you listen you can't stop.

Spiritualized - Ladies & Gentlemen we are Floating in Space ... It's a pretty dark ride and can be uplifting at times, too.

Not sure I know of any real heartstring tuggers off the top of my head though.

3. Dmitri

Dmitri No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pink Floyd, of course. And Peter Gabriel has some real good ones.

4. K_Pugh

K_Pugh No longer a newbie, moving up!

^ two great ones there!

let's not forget Kate Bush, Hounds of Love is a great album.

5. TwoRails

TwoRails TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Do you have a favorite type of music? It may help getting some recommendations. I like a wide range of stuff, from Zappa to jazz and almost all things in between. I recently discovered Esperanza Spalding was was quite impressed in the only CD I've picked up of hers. I believe it's simply titled: Esperanza

6. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    really depends what music you are into - I must say that I rather like quite a bit of film music these days - Lord of the Rings has a fantastic musical score and Hans Zimmer (Gladiator and Pirates of the Caribbean) does very well with his scores.

But really it comes down to what you yourself like in music as to how it moves you. Also association is a big part of it - some music can move a person not just because of how it sounds but for what it is associated with (say a film or a memorable even in that persons life - the music played at a wedding or funeral). This can have a big effect and there are some tracks that I know I would not like if I had just heard them without something to relate to the track

7. UncleRico

UncleRico TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not sure what you're into, but one of my favorite albums is Above by Mad Season. They're a super group from the 90's, which features Layne Staley on vocals. If you know anything about his life, it makes the lyrics much more powerful. Mad Season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, featuring Layne Staley, the Alice in Chains Unplugged album is another great one.

Ryan

8. Stilltime

Stilltime TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Neil Young. The early stuff. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere; After The Gold Rush; Harvest. I particularly like the title track from Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere.

9. monkeykoder

monkeykoder TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I pretty much listen to every kind of music as long as it has a feeling associated with it. On my regular listening list I have everything from muse and ramstein to ashley simpson and aqua (I couldn't find anyone that would admit to having elton john that I could rip a couple of songs from of course there are only a couple of his that I like). Pink Floyd is a lot like Elton John as far as songs are concerned they have some really good ones and some songs you wonder why they were ever produced.

10. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I second Pink Floyd!

11. pm63

pm63 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    As the avatar hints, Porcupine Tree. They have a massive back catalogue, but the last two albums are great.

For some chillout prog, No-Man.

If you're willing to go really heavy, Opeth's Still Life and Blackwater Park.

12. monkeykoder

monkeykoder TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    To tell you the truth my usual problem with metal isn't that I don't like the idea it is that for what they have at their disposal they usually aren't powerful enough...