Real music

Certain kinds of music just take time to get accustomed to.

Joanna Newsom - listened to a few tracks - the harp playing I love and I like the songs overall. The thing I can't come to like easy is her voice - its definatly a very distinctive sound she has and (unfortunatly) I think its a sound I can't come to like. Its a shame as I do like the rest of the songs - I think if they were sung by a different artist I would prefer them - but then of course they would be different songs

It's weird I can enjoy concrete blonde or Susan Vega but for some reason teh Joanna Newsom stuff just doesn't work for me.

P.S. I'm still looking for a good rendition of Danny Boy.

Well as for songs that have tugged my heartstrings or made me feel anything very strongly(But are more accessible songs than anything by Joanna Newsom), I'd list these:
The Decemberists: Eli the Barrow Boy :goodvibe:
The Magnetic Fields: Suddenly there is a Tidal Wave
Barenaked Ladies: The Flag
Ben Folds Five: Air
Wilco: Jesus, etc
Blur: The Universal

There are probably a great many more, but I'm at work and can't see my CD colection or mp3 list from here.

P.S. I'm still looking for a good rendition of Danny Boy.

Diana Krall with the Chieftains sings the best Danny Boy ever.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81JG7Notka4]YouTube - Danny Boy por Diana Krall[/ame]

Joanna certainly is an incredible talent (and person, too).. definitely my favourite artist to emerge from the last 20 years.

Her harp playing just blows me away, playing two different time signatures at the same time, singing the songs the way she does with those carefully crafted lyrics.. It's just crazy.

I've seen her twice now, once at the Royal Albert Hall and once at Somerset House.

That reminds me, Roy Harper - Stormcock .. another fantastic album.

Boards of Canada make some good trip-hop if you're into that kind of thing.

Personal fave would be their song 'Dayvan Cowboy', It's a very Atmospheric tune.

[ame=http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=_lEsLcGB7Vo]YouTube - Boards of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy (High Quality)[/ame]

Boards of Canada make some good trip-hop if you're into that kind of thing.

Personal fave would be their song 'Dayvan Cowboy', It's a very Atmospheric tune.

YouTube - Boards of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy (High Quality)

Agree... BoC are amongst my fav artists..

..but for the 'heart strings, up and down' type feeling the OP asked for its gotta be Sigur Ros, and i can't stress that enough... thier songs have made me cry one minute and feel the hairs on my neck stand on end the next... for people that take the time to explore thier music, it is very very rewarding. You will then be saying Sigur ros are one of the best bands in the world.

..but for the 'heart strings, up and down' type feeling the OP asked for its gotta be Sigur Ros, and i can't stress that enough... thier songs have made me cry one minute and feel the hairs on my neck stand on end the next... for people that take the time to explore thier music, it is very very rewarding. You will then be saying Sigur ros are one of the best bands in the world.

he speaks the truth

Most reactions

Back