Real Noob T.T. Focus shots?

john.kimin.kim

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yo,
I'm pretty new to photography, but I've always wanted to those shots where you focus on something very near you, but the background is very blurry. I forgot what the kind of shot name is, but could y'all teach me how to do it. Etc?

ThankS!

The effect you are looking for is called 'shallow Depth of Field'.

The DOF is controlled by a few different things. The first is the aperture of the lens. The larger the aperture (smaller F number) the more shallow the DOF.
Focal length: a longer focal length gives you a more shallow DOF.
Size of the film/sensor. It's hard to get a shallow DOF with a digi-cam because the sensor is so small. It's much easier on a camera with a larger sensor.
Distance to subject: The closer you are to the subject, the more shallow the DOF.
The farther away the background is, the more out of focus it can be.

Lol, this is turning into a conversation that I would expect in South Central LA, with "Yo"s and "o snap"s.

Anyway, the DOF is mostly controlled by how low the F Stop is. Some lenses have a minimum F stop of 1.2, others can be as high as F/4.

It is so easy to say "read the manual".

I underestand DoF from my use of a SLR back in the sixties but I must say the manual that came with my Canon S5 IS would be of little help to John asking the question here.

Big Mike is a class act.

It is so easy to say "read the manual".

I apologize if I may have sounded a little inconsiderate when I said, "Read your camera manual". This is one of those questions where doing less than 5 minutes of research on the internet or a camera manual can easily answer this question. Remember when you had no idea how to spell a word and your grade school teacher told you, "Look it up in the dictionary"? This is a similar situation. Sometimes, it is better for someone to do a little research rather than buying a camera, then quickly going to a forum and asking how to use it. Once again, I am sorry if I appeared to have given the cold shoulder.

Most reactions

Back