Really affordable lighting?

dustin0479

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
SB600 is all you need. Joe McNally the world's greatest photographer (in my opinion, but i'm sure others will agree) only uses speedlights. Zack Arias an incredible editorial shooter only uses one light. One of those being a speedlight. If I were you I'd buy a radio trigger, lightstand, umbrella bracket, an umbrella softbox and a shoot through umbrella. All attainable for under $100 which will provide a fantastic starting point as opposed to cheap lighting ebay solutions which will break within a day.

Do you really think I need the radio trigger with the D300? When running commander mode is that not essentially a remote trigger? (bear with me I have not used the SB600 off camera yet)

Do you really think I need the radio trigger with the D300? When running commander mode is that not essentially a remote trigger? (bear with me I have not used the SB600 off camera yet)

I used to use commander mode, but it can be tricky to get some angles in when you're shooting outside. Especially when working with different angles, it can be annoying when you've got a good compo and pose but the damn unit won't fire because either the speedlight receiver is covered or the camera can't reach it.
Also, you restrict yourself with your lighting because you're going to get a burst of flash from the camera to trigger your flash which could muck up some compositions.

I don't get the warm and fuzzies from the kit you linked.

If you plan on using flash while your models are standing, consider an 8' to 10' light stand.

Use the SB600 in Commander mode until you find out why it limits you. It may not for a while.

SB600 is all you need. Joe McNally the world's greatest photographer (in my opinion, but i'm sure others will agree) only uses speedlights. Zack Arias an incredible editorial shooter only uses one light. One of those being a speedlight. If I were you I'd buy a radio trigger, lightstand, umbrella bracket, an umbrella softbox and a shoot through umbrella. All attainable for under $100 which will provide a fantastic starting point as opposed to cheap lighting ebay solutions which will break within a day.

I'm pretty sure Joe McNally probably uses something besides speedlights and I know for a fact that Zack Arias uses more than one light some times.

They have styles and videos to teach certain concepts, but often use the tools needed to complete the job.

Dear OP - That's honestly the cheapest light kit I think I've ever seen. Congratualtions on showing me something new.

If you want to do indoor lighting, look into something like a set of Calumet Genesis 200 light kit. 2 200w/s strobes based off the Elinchrom D-lite design with stands and umbrellas for $369. There's also Alien Bees and other reputable brands that will have cheaper lights that are actually worth spending your money on.

$369 is a lot more than the price of the kit you have listed, but I'd be willing to bet that they're definitely worth much more than the kit posted on ebay.

I used to use commander mode, but it can be tricky to get some angles in when you're shooting outside. Especially when working with different angles, it can be annoying when you've got a good compo and pose but the damn unit won't fire because either the speedlight receiver is covered or the camera can't reach it.
Also, you restrict yourself with your lighting because you're going to get a burst of flash from the camera to trigger your flash which could muck up some compositions.

If it's anything like the wireless flash technology that Canon employs (far as I know it's only on the 7D right now...) then it's possible to turn off the on-camera flash. Obviously it still goes off when you take the shot, but only enough to let the flash know to fire and it doesn't appear in the actual shot.

I've used the wireless flash with fairly reflective surfaces around and they either don't show anything coming from the camera or it's just a very *slight* light...not enough to change the lighting on a model's face.

I got my first light kit off craig's list about a year ago for two hundred bucks. Granted it was nearly thirty years old but it had evrything I needed. It was a Novatron 440 plus WS with five adjustable lights three umbrellas and four stands. If your on a tight budget be patient and check all the used classifieds and your sure to find a deal sooner or later. Sometimes an old dinosuar is exactly what you need to get started.

If you want quality lightning for cheap you need much more than 1 sb-600.
You will need triggers because commander mode doesnt really work well in all situation.

Check your classified ads alllll the time!

I found a Opus light kit for 350 $ this summer
Large carrying bag,
2 X 10" heavy duty stand
2X shoot trough/bounce 46 inch umbrellas
2 X opl-k250
1 barndoor with gels + grid
1 snoot with gels + grid
2 opus triggers + 1 transmitter,

that kit is also around 1400$ brand new, relatively cheap for what it is. its a really nice kit for a studio setup.

For a cheap location setup, I always tell people to look at the vivitar285hv and the cheap ctr-301p radio triggers from ebay. With a couple of stands, sandbags and umbrellas and mount, the whole setup came pretty cheap.

OP that lighting kit SUX! I mean really bad! A friend of my owns it and it just sits there because those bulbs are so poorly lit. Although, for the price, not bad for the stands and umbrellas and you can use off camera flashes on them :)

The umbrellas in that kit are so small as to be useless.

The lights are continuous lights, which negates many of the advantages of using supplimental strobed lighting, namely that withstrobed lighting you can control the ambient and strobed light exposures separately with a single shutter release.

However, unless strobed lights have a modeling light feature, you cannot see in advance where, and how sharply shadows will fall.

I summary, I don't think that particular kit is worth buying.

I wouldnt touch that kit with a 10 foot pole.

Im a big fan of starting off very small with off camera lighting. You already have an SB600, so you're halfway there. You can pick up a light stand, 48-60" convertible umbrella and a umbrella bracket for well under 100 bucks and that will open up HUGE possibilities in your lighting.

Master that, or at least, learn, understand and appreciate its capabilities and limitations, then move on to bigger and better things.

Calumet Genesis monolights. Adorama Flashpoint monolights. Two of the better lower-end yet PROVEN monolight choices. That eBay kit is just not the way to spend hard-earned, or even lottery-scratch off ticket won,money...

I am cheap by nature thus the need for you guys to talk me OUT of the cheap items!

For the time I am going to go with......
a second SB600
2x 8' Linco light stands PRO HEAVY DUTY 8' LIGHT STAND - eBay (item 270650619456 end time Nov-16-10 00:36:35 PST)
2x Impact Convertable Umbrella Impact 30" Convertible Umbrella UBBW30 B&H Photo Video

If anyone has alternatives to these they feel are better feel free to throw it out there.

Sounds good to me...

But I would go with a bigger umbrella personally...48" minimum and they work perfectly with speedlights.

Most reactions

Back