Really good explanation for people starting out with photography

This is a perfect example of over complicating things without real understanding of the practical applications. LOL
This was not intended as a guide how to use your camera, but as an explanation of why things are like they are. People tend to think differently, but for me the knowing why is very important, becaus i tend to translate that into new knowledge. For me it makes it easier to learn about related things, when i can see the red line, and i think there are other thinking this way

I never mentioned anything about using the camera. These are not camera features. You tried to explain something that it doesn't look like you have practical knowledge of how they're being applied in the real world to create photographs, and you over complicate it. Yes, people tend to think differently. Have you applied these concepts to actually taking photos? What happen to the shadow areas when you use low ISO? What happen to the highlights? Aperture in relation to DOF and motion? Shutter speed in relation to motion and ambient light? Shutter speed in relation to flash? There are a lot more to ISO, shutter speed, and aperture when you actually take a photo. In the photography world there are so many pretentious people who try to sound like they're more knowledgeable than they are. To be frank, the title should be changed from "Really good explanation for people starting out with photography" to "My half assed explanation for people starting out with photography".

What happen to the shadow areas when you use low ISO? What happen to the highlights?
Intuitively i started thinking about higlights being clipped with high iso becouse the charging of the sensors may become near fully charged, i don't know if this is correct? About the shadows than, i have read something on the fly about that and low iso, i don't really recall it, but i think that with low iso shadows will be dark which is more correct than with higher iso where the noise will cause the shadows to be lighter than they actually should be? I don't know if these are correct. I usually try to keep the ISO Low

Aperture in relation to DOF and motion?
If you keep the focal lengt untouched, then the aperture with bigger number will cause the DOF to be smaller. A smaller aperture number will also allow more light to enter, which will shorten the exposure time and make motion sharper. A small number on the aperture will ofcourse do the opposite.

Shutter speed in relation to motion and ambient light?
Fast shutterspeed will of course make motion sharp and slow causes motion blur, ambient light will require long shutter speed

Shutter speed in relation to flash?
The flash in itself is very fast (Usually under 1 ms) which will make pictures sharp with a short shutterspeed, hoever. One can use a long shutter speed in combination with flash if one want to get motion blur on the picture together with a sharp exposure from the flash for artistic reasons

There are a lot more to ISO, shutter speed, and aperture when you actually take a photo. In the photography world there are so many pretentious people who try to sound like they're more knowledgeable than they are.
I agree. There are things like positioning of motives on the pictures, making people feel confortable when they pose as motive, being ablo to use natural lighting in creative ways, and so on

To be frank, the title should be changed from "Really good explanation for people starting out with photography" to "My half assed explanation for people starting out with photography".
Hello Frank!

What happen to the shadow areas when you use low ISO? What happen to the highlights?
Intuitively i started thinking about higlights being clipped with high iso becouse the charging of the sensors may become near fully charged, i don't know if this is correct? About the shadows than, i have read something on the fly about that and low iso, i don't really recall it, but i think that with low iso shadows will be dark which is more correct than with higher iso where the noise will cause the shadows to be lighter than they actually should be? I don't know if these are correct. I usually try to keep the ISO Low

Aperture in relation to DOF and motion?
If you keep the focal lengt untouched, then the aperture with bigger number will cause the DOF to be smaller. A smaller aperture number will also allow more light to enter, which will shorten the exposure time and make motion sharper. A small number on the aperture will ofcourse do the opposite.

Shutter speed in relation to motion and ambient light?
Fast shutterspeed will of course make motion sharp and slow causes motion blur, ambient light will require long shutter speed

Shutter speed in relation to flash?
The flash in itself is very fast (Usually under 1 ms) which will make pictures sharp with a short shutterspeed, hoever. One can use a long shutter speed in combination with flash if one want to get motion blur on the picture together with a sharp exposure from the flash for artistic reasons

There are a lot more to ISO, shutter speed, and aperture when you actually take a photo. In the photography world there are so many pretentious people who try to sound like they're more knowledgeable than they are.
I agree. There are things like positioning of motives on the pictures, making people feel confortable when they pose as motive, being ablo to use natural lighting in creative ways, and so on

To be frank, the title should be changed from "Really good explanation for people starting out with photography" to "My half assed explanation for people starting out with photography".
Hello Frank!

I rest my case, no practical understanding and straight online reading. Your answers would be different if you actually photograph and apply some of these concepts. How pretentious are you trying to explain these to new photographers when you don't have a complete understand of the concepts yourself? :eek:

Last edited:
Intuitively i started thinking about higlights being clipped with high iso becouse the charging of the sensors may become near fully charged, i don't know if this is correct?

It is not correct.

About the shadows than, i have read something on the fly about that and low iso, i don't really recall it, but i think that with low iso shadows will be dark which is more correct than with higher iso where the noise will cause the shadows to be lighter than they actually should be? I don't know if these are correct.

Again not correct.

I usually try to keep the ISO Low

When possible that's the best thing to do.

Don't let the naysayers discourage you from pursuing your efforts. I like the way you've responded to criticism in this thread -- you have a positive attitude and clearly want to learn and seem excited to learn. :icon_thumbsup: James is behaving like a photo snob. He may have practical experience using his camera but I'm pretty sure he's not too clear on how it actually works.

Joe

:icon_thumbsup: James is behaving like a photo snob. He may have practical experience using his camera but I'm pretty sure he's not too clear on how it actually works.

Joe

You're absolutely correct. I'm never 100% clear unless it's somehow directly affect my ability to produce the result I need. This is why I never write technical articles because it would be pretentious of me explaining something that I have no clear concept of, and tell all the new photographers it's really good. If that's being a snob then HELL YEAH I AM A SNOB! :D

:icon_thumbsup: James is behaving like a photo snob. He may have practical experience using his camera but I'm pretty sure he's not too clear on how it actually works.

Joe

You're absolutely correct. I'm never 100% clear unless it's somehow directly affect my ability to produce the result I need. This is why I never write technical articles because it would be pretentious of me explaining something that I have no clear concept of, and tell all the new photographers it's really good. If that's being a snob then HELL YEAH I AM A SNOB! :D

That's not being a snob. This is being a snob; "This is a perfect example of over complicating things without real understanding of the practical applications. LOL"

And this; "Have you applied these concepts to actually taking photos? What happen to the shadow areas when you use low ISO? What happen to the highlights? Aperture in relation to DOF and motion? Shutter speed in relation to motion and ambient light? Shutter speed in relation to flash? There are a lot more to ISO, shutter speed, and aperture when you actually take a photo."

English is not his native language. It's clear from the thread that he has a good attitude about correcting errors, improving his work and learning. As such discouragement and derision are not appropriate responses.

Joe

Joe

That's not being a snob. This is being a snob; "This is a perfect example of over complicating things without real understanding of the practical applications. LOL"

And this; "Have you applied these concepts to actually taking photos? What happen to the shadow areas when you use low ISO? What happen to the highlights? Aperture in relation to DOF and motion? Shutter speed in relation to motion and ambient light? Shutter speed in relation to flash? There are a lot more to ISO, shutter speed, and aperture when you actually take a photo."

English is not his native language. It's clear from the thread that he has a good attitude about correcting errors, improving his work and learning. As such discouragement and derision are not appropriate responses.

Joe

That's being sarcastic and they're rhetorical questions. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. :(

BTW, English isn't my native language either.

I think it is very good you are writing the things down, better than having all those ideas floating around in the head, especially when doing things outside your native language. Keep at it.

Funny that when I saw the magnifying glass analogy I had recently read a couple articles that used the magnifying glass to help explain circles of confusion.

You could call it "10 things happening inside your camera and you didn't know it".

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. :(

You're not hurting my feelings. I'm not the person you've been Trumping on.

Joe

My sarcasm... again! LOL

To be honest, I wouldn't have even commented on this thread if it wasn't because 1. First post spam. 2. Tried to be slick about it when he got called out.

Now back to other important things... like watching paint dry. :D

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. :(

You're not hurting my feelings. I'm not the person you've been Trumping on.

Joe

My sarcasm... again! LOL

To be honest, I wouldn't have even commented on this thread if it wasn't because 1. First post spam. 2. Tried to be slick about it when he got called out.

Now back to other important things... like watching paint dry. :D

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRINGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Come on over to my place and watch the corn grow! Fun! Fun! Fun!

Most reactions

Back