Really looking for input - first post here

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by eortmann, Aug 6, 2006.

1. eortmann

eortmann TPF Noob!

Thanks so much for looking! I am a mom with no technical training, a good camera and a love of photo images. Because I lack the education I am always second-guessing my photos. One of my favorite things to do every summer is enter in our little county fair. It has a nice photo comp with several catagories. I usually find my items entering in Life in Our County - People and Activities. I've done fairly well there but one problem with that is the pressure of having done well in the past. Every year I get so worried that this is the year I will totally skunk. Truly though, this year I just don't have anything and I need 3 images printed and matted by next Saturday. The two things that they look for it seems to me is sort of "slice of life" or tourism-friendly shots. Please let me know what photos (adding one tonight & more tomorrow) you like best with those thoughts in mind and also of course, critiques are always welcome since I have so much to learn. Don't worry, I have four kids so if I can't take honest critiques, I'd have been in trouble by now :)! Thank you all again for your time. I am really happy to have found this forum and excited to hear from you!!!

Attached Files:

2. Unimaxium

Unimaxium TPF Noob!

Northeastern University, originally from Philly
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I think that photo you have there is a very nice capture. :) Nice silhouetting with a pretty landscape in the background. I say you probably should crop some of the excessive black space off the bottom, though.

edit: I see you've posted more photos. The above was about the first photo ;-)

3. henryhurrry

henryhurrry TPF Noob!

For a slice of life - certainly the boys under the water spray is perfect. The first two shots have great color. I love the apple blossoms. The fourth shot does not do much for me.

4. jonasr_jp

jonasr_jp TPF Noob!

i think the three first are ok the fourth just looks very snap shotted.

good luck

5. midnitejam

midnitejam TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    On my monitor, all of them look a little soft.
    #4 is my favorite. The composition works and so does the subject matter. It needs more contrast. A touch of PS processing and you will definately have yourself a winner.

6. eortmann

eortmann TPF Noob!

I really appreciate all of your comments. I have been trying to figure out how to post images so they are in the message instead of thumbnailed. I do think they also look a little softened the way they display, but the originals are all pretty sharp.
    The first one is the only one I have really been thinking of submitting. Would anyone have any other suggestions for improvement on it before I order my enlargement? Also, does the second one with the pink trees just seem to be missing something to you - or is that me? :wink: More THANKS!

7. malweth

malweth TPF Noob!

I really like #3 - I like how it tells a story simply.

8. rmh159

rmh159 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    1 and 2 look the strongest to me and I think I'd crop out some of the bottom blackness as well.

3 looks like it has potential but I feel like it's a bit busy. 4 is ok... not a bad a shot but of the 4 it's my least favorite because the other 3 invoke some type of feeling or response where 4 doesn't have much of an impact for me.

Best of luck though... post how you do.

9. meotter

meotter TPF Noob!

i'm with rmh159 here, 1 & 2 are "wow" shots, while 3 & 4, just leave me with not much emotional impact.

10. midnitejam

midnitejam TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    eortmann, You have a PM in your inbox.
    Cheers

11. Efergoh

Efergoh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think #4 would have been a killer shot if you had gotten a little closer to the subject and he wasn't looking at the camera.

12. Lunatick

Lunatick TPF Noob!

as with everyone else, i think #! could use some croping of the black bottom, #2 is good but i cant really figure out what is going on, if he was at the beginning or the middle of the road with his arms spread it would make sense, but hes at the end of the road, why is his arms spread? (rhetorical question).
    #3 looks too busy for me
    #4 the shot would be good if he was doing anything other then looking at the camera. skipping a rock, fishing, hanging from the tree, or even just looking at the water.