really need help with this one

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by Algoessailing, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Algoessailing

Algoessailing TPF Noob!

Hers's the deal. This is my favorite pic I've taken so far. Unfortunatly, I had just started shooting and didn't know what I was doing, and I need help to make look good. It was shot on Fuji superia extra ISO 200, pentax 100-400mm series one lense, F8.0, ap 1/500 with a Promaster red enhancer filter (for some reason I was obsessed with this filter at the time). I was a very foggy morning: I had hoped to get the sunrise over the Macinac bridge. I tried to adjust color to get the red out and ran it thru Neat image. This is my result:
    [​IMG]

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. magali

magali TPF Noob!

I can't see the picture :cry:

3. mygrain

mygrain Friend to nose goblins everywhere

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    ditto

4. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not even a red x.
    Nothing.
    It was like this this morning and I thought it was .... ooops. Something happened while I am typing this. The screen jumped and .....

....the picture is HERE! :D
    It is huge. Too big for my screen. I have to scroll and scroll. Difficult for any sort of critique.

5. mygrain

mygrain Friend to nose goblins everywhere

Photos NOT OK to edit
    LOL!!! I still see a broken image icon.

6. Algoessailing

Algoessailing TPF Noob!

I have that problem a lot, but it loaded this time. I think I need a new host. If you do get the x, you should be able to right click and show picture

7. tr0gd0o0r

tr0gd0o0r TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I can see it, but have no idea how to help ya with it. Sorry

8. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    One thing that is buggin me is, it looks like it's tilted a bit...maybe not...I'm not sure..something about the angle bugs me. Other than that..there are other things, I'm just not sure exactly how to critique it. I don't know if it's a bad scan, but it's almost lookign a bit streaky to me. Or maybe it's my monitor. Or maybe it's the fact that I've been starting at a computer screen all day and I took a dose of Nyquil half an hour ago and I'm still up. :)

9. Tok

Tok TPF Noob!

Not a bad start...

But since u don't really like the result of the image.. ok.... composition is one thing, u may try to look for a couple of different angles and find the one that pleases u most first before u shoot next time, try to look through the camera first, compose, and take your time for the pressing the shutter release. If u still can't get what u want from the raw print-out, try to see if cropping helps.

Focusing, were u trying to focus on the bridge at infinity or were u focusing on the water? If i were u, I would set it to infinity for the bridge, use even smaller aperture than 8, with a higher shutter speed, in order to make the pic look sharper if that's what u wanna achieve in the image.

Use a shorter lens for landscape might help too. long zooms are usually less sharp than, let's say 28 or 35 mm.

My 2 cents. Just keep on shooting, u will only be better and better on the skills if u enjoy doing it, which I think u are. :)

Anyone else? Correct me if I am wrong, too. I am learning always as well.

One more thing, try to do without the filtre next time, to see what will u get first. Then u will know where and when will u need filtres, and what will they do to the pic under certain lighting and time of the day.