mysteryscribe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
retrophotoservice.2ya.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
NOW THIS IS TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY.
There was a thread in one of the galleries that got me thinking about the old days. For years us old guys shot picture with little or no post processing. I go back and look at what I did back then and except for a little cropping most of them didn't need any. Now I'm working from the negatives not the prints after the lab did their thing so they really are raw.​

So here is what I propose... I am going to shoot pictures for a while with only minimal post processing. All about knowing what your equipment will do and how you see things originally. Everyone is invited to put their images here as well. Rules are simple.... Clone only to remove dust, No burning or dodging, no photoshoppe of any kind. No cropping allowed at all. What you see is what you get. If you use layers you should be able to eat them. See how close to a finished picture you can shoot directly from your camera.

I promise sometime today I'll shoot one and then I can see if I still have it. So here is your chance to get even if you need to. You are on your honor to follow the rules no monitor here.

NOW THIS IS TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY.

There was a thread in one of the galleries that got me thinking about the old days. For years us old guys shot picture with little or no post processing. I go back and look at what I did back then and except for a little cropping most of them didn't need any. Now I'm working from the negatives not the prints after the lab did their thing so they really are raw.​

So here is what I propose... I am going to shoot pictures for a while with only minimal post processing. All about knowing what your equipment will do and how you see things originally. Everyone is invited to put their images here as well. Rules are simple.... Clone only to remove dust, No burning or dodging, no photoshoppe of any kind. No cropping allowed at all. What you see is what you get. If you use layers you should be able to eat them. See how close to a finished picture you can shoot directly from your camera.​

I promise sometime today I'll shoot one and then I can see if I still have it. So here is your chance to get even if you need to. You are on your honor to follow the rules no monitor here.

Freedom at last....!!!!!

How about in camera white balance?

this is the same like putting a filter onto your front lens. of course that should be allowed.

Although, for me it is a bit hard to contribute since I shoot RAW exclusively, so there is always the step of "developing" from RAW to JPG which is some sort of processing. of course I could leave out the photoshop step after that.

And for film, there is always the scanning which is done with certain settings like grain reduction, contrast whatever .... not sure where to draw the line here either.

My thinking is to do just the amount of work that would be done by a one hour lab.
start digital or film but do no more than they would do at a lab.... thats how we did freelance mostly in the old days. You can white blance yes of course. What you cant do is custom work.

no burning dodging or even custom cropping. However a full frame crop to print size is allowed. For instand in a 35mm and probably the standard digital you lose a little off the edges you can crop for that.

Since im scanning im going to scan as they would at a lab to print just set it pretty much auto and go with it. That's how proof and print was done in the old days.

Back in those days if you camera readied it when you shot it, you could buy an 8x10 at $1 each. You had to take the whole roll but we got anywhere for 10 to 20 bucks each for them. You sold a package with like 36 but sold 50 because they were on the table for them to choose from. "Hey tell you what lois I'll make you a deal on the 14 you didn't chose. How about a hundred bucks for all of them." that's how you paid the real expenses, so all the package price was profit. At least that's how they did it where I'm from.

Hell let's really do it like we used to. Make the image as full frame as possible (no cropping for content) but crop to a standard 8x10 size canvas. I got mine shot and it's gonna be hard to beat im telling you now. It's washing as we type.

It's also black and white on a 2x3 negative from a camera I cobbled together. I am putting myself at a disadvantage.

My thinking is to do just the amount of work that would be done by a one hour lab.
start digital or film but do no more than they would do at a lab.... thats how we did freelance mostly in the old days. You can white blance yes of course. What you cant do is custom work.

no burning dodging or even custom cropping. However a full frame crop to print size is allowed. For instand in a 35mm and probably the standard digital you lose a little off the edges you can crop for that.

Since im scanning im going to scan as they would at a lab to print just set it pretty much auto and go with it. That's how proof and print was done in the old days.

Back in those days if you camera readied it when you shot it, you could buy an 8x10 at $1 each. You had to take the whole roll but we got anywhere for 10 to 20 bucks each for them. You sold a package with like 36 but sold 50 because they were on the table for them to choose from. "Hey tell you what lois I'll make you a deal on the 14 you didn't chose. How about a hundred bucks for all of them." that's how you paid the real expenses, so all the package price was profit. At least that's how they did it where I'm from.

Hell let's really do it like we used to. Make the image as full frame as possible (no cropping for content) but crop to a standard 8x10 size canvas. I got mine shot and it's gonna be hard to beat im telling you now. It's washing as we type.

ok, I think I understand ... that means using rather standard settings for the scanning and the RAW to jpg conversion or for the scanning. no extreme push in contrast, and certainly no selective operations on any part of the image.

Yes, i could join in here ... actually some of the images I posted on the forum are processed that way anyway. In particular those taken on film.

Multiple pictures allowed :D ??

btw love the idea

here they come...

These are all as is, JPG from the camera, nothing done at all except for resizing (Not cropping) to post...

To start flowers
P5180117copy.jpg

P5180104copy.jpg

San Francisco
#3 you lookin' at me? (he's behind a glass shield btw)
P2030002copy.jpg

Aerospace mueseum
P6200017copy.jpg

P6200033copy.jpg

Tons more, but I thought these would do without overcrowding the thread.

Did I mention how much I love this idea :hugs:

I love it...

Now tell me knowing what you know people do the little hot spots really bother you.... And honestly how much would cropping help the images. Damn fine job. I might have over estimated how hard it is going to be to beat my image.

there are two that just jump out at me on an old school tech style. One is the bird that looks like he is just plain curious. that is the kind of thing you shoot and to hell with composition... and the verticle tree. Veritcle is perfect the frame of the image it follows the lines of the tree branches... Now that's what meatball photography is about. Make the best use of what you have on hand. Bravo.

I don't even have photoshop so this should be easy for me :)

Peniole, those are great!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back