Really want an AF motor

D40

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well the D40 has been a good camera but I am really wanting a camera with the AF motor so I can get the Nikon 50mm f1.4 and not have to focus it myself. Also as I learn more I would like a camera that has a few more features that I can use from now untill I start makeing money in photography. I will be selling the D40 and kit lens and was thinking about either getting the D80 body and then 50mm f1.4 or MAYBE a D200 but that is pushing the limit a little. Honestly, I am not makeing money right know in photography, I do a lot for the church and for anyone who asks but that is it right now, my main reason for upgradeing is to get the AF motor and maybe more MP for those larger prints that is why the D80 is a choice. I know the D200 is so much better and believer me I would love to have it but I don't know if I can justify the extra cash for it. Also down the road if I get to shooting more for money I will not feal the need to upgrade from a D80 and sertainly not a D200. So based on this do you think the D80 would be a wise choice? Thanks guys

If you start shooting professionally and for money you probably will want to upgrade to at least a D200. The D80 is a good enthusiast camera, but when pushed to the limits it's just not as serious as serious shooters need it to be. There are dozens of little things about the D200+ lineup that make them a far better choice for pros. If you just want something with an AF motor and are going to sell your D40, you might consider a used D50 or D70/s in the meantime. The D70 in particular has a lot of the features of the D80 like the built-in flash commander, and much much more consistent metering than the D80 as well.

If you're only really upgrading for the AF motor, then yes, the D80 is a very good choice, although you might want to look into a used D70 for much cheaper. It only has 6mp again, and the high-ISO quality is a bit worse than the D80, but it's a nice camera.

Mind you, unless you're going to be shooting moving subjects with the 1.4, you might want to stick with the '40. It's a great camera on its own, and manually focusing, even wide-open, really isn't that much of a hassle (well, unless you're trying to shoot a frantic 5-year-old :p).

Edit: Ah, Mav, you b******, you got here before me AGAIN!

I agree. If you're JUST looking for the AF motor, I would sell the D40 and look for a used D50, which would be a virtual trade off in terms of spending. There are definitely some things you'd have to get used to, but both cameras are great, and I recommend the D50 over the D70 so you can use your SD cards since D70s use CF. But again, if you are looking JUST for the AF motor.

Although I can't offer any advice I can give you my sympathy. I also have a D40 and have been thinking the same thing. I love the 50mm and although I don't mind MF I have missed shots due to not having AF. My issue is more likely lack of experience though as Im sure the pros can focus much quicker than I. I would also like the larger viewfinder of the D80.

Sorry it took me a while to get back. Yes right know I am learning photography on my own and am not doing any pro work. I think the D80 would get me shooting pro at which point I should be makeing money with photography and could afford the D200 seires. The D80 uses the same memory as the D40 right? I am also looking at the higher MP for photos that need to be blown up. Large family shots, some may want them bigger then I can do with the D40. Also I hear the battery life on the D80 is just as good as the D40?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/449061-REG/Nikon_25412_D80_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

That is not a bad price,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/407284-REG/Nikon_25235_D200_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

The D200 is getting close to $400-500 more???

Sorry, I don't have any advice on this but one thing you could do to get better with manualy focusing, is just sit around your house and take shots with the manual focus for a while and then do more serious shooting with it on manual, I'm sure you could get used to it in no time if you force yourself to use it.

For MP to really make any difference, you'd need a MUCH more expensive camera somewhere in the 20+MP range, so choosing your next camera based on that isn't a wise idea. Most print-shops will work from your standard sized shoots, or do a scan of a print and blow that up, but man how many people are you expecting to ask for jumbo-tron sized prints?
The D80 isnt a "pro" camera (or at least its not marketed as one). Of course, depending on your skill that really wouldnt make much of a difference really (although that all depends on what kind of photography youre interested in doing).

I know what you are talking about... I actually own a D70 (no, I am not looking to sell it...) I did consider 'downgrading' to D40 because I liked the more compact body, larger LCD, and lighter weight, and I don't care much for some of the fancier interfaces on the D70 (two controll wheels instead of one, a professional like upper deck LCD information panel, etc.)
However, I do own two mechanical AF prime lenses (Nikkor 35mm f/2.0, and 50mm f/1.8) which I love using, and therefore decided to stick to my D70 for at least a couple more years.

If you are going for a used D70, note Nikon had a manufacturing defect on some of the production units with this model. Nikon acknowledged and repaired D70 bodies for no charge long after warranty period. So, if you do, make sure the unit you're buying had been repaired.

Cheers!

I am not a pro and the D80 would do everything I need right now. With the D40 at 6MP I can't get larger than 11x16 from what I saw, I know that is not a big deal it is just a small +.

I've made far larger prints from my D40 than 11x16" and they've looked great. Some of these "charts" are designed to sell cameras more than anything. You don't need to maintaint the same linear resolution at bigger print sizes because you'll be standing further away to view them.

I've made far larger prints from my D40 than 11x16" and they've looked great. Some of these "charts" are designed to sell cameras more than anything. You don't need to maintaint the same linear resolution at bigger print sizes because you'll be standing further away to view them.

Well said. 6MP is more than enough for anything, when viewed at a reasonable distance. The eye's resolution is equivalent to about 4MP if you take the fact that only the small part of an item your eye is focused on has high detail and the rest has far less. That's why you can't read anything at the corner of your eye.

Oh ok, well than that is not a major problem:)

Most reactions

Back