Reasonably Priced Sensor Swabs?

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In the past I've used the Photographic Solutions swabs, but at almost $4 a swab, it seems to be a bit rich... especially when the swab is nothing more than plastic and cotton. WIth my D7000 cleaning the oil off the sensor results in ruining at least one swab each cleaning... sometimes 2 or 3.

Anyone have any tried and true budget swab recommendations?

Copper Hill have reasonably priced kits that allow you to roll your own swabs or for an even cheaper solution you can use Pec-Pads with either a bought spatula or I use an old swab with the original fabric removed and a Pec-Pad wrapped around it.

Good to know! I like the idea of the "roll your own" sensor wipe, especially with the oil spraying mirror assembly of the D7000!

Copper Hill have reasonably priced kits that allow you to roll your own swabs or for an even cheaper solution you can use Pec-Pads with either a bought spatula or I use an old swab with the original fabric removed and a Pec-Pad wrapped around it.

I use a cut down kitchen spatula and Pec-Pads with Eclipse fluid, at home. Travelling, and sometimes at home, I use Sensor Clean. I don't know if you can still get them, it's a sticky orange rubber piece on the end of a white stick. Gently press it against the sensor and pull it off. Dirt sticks to it better than to the sensor. It travels well. I don't know how security would feel about Eclipse fluid.

Fortunately, I don't have the problem of the camera spraying oil on the sensor. Oil would require solvent.

If you shoot wide open, almost no sensor dirt shows up.

I just bought a (4) pack of the pre-moistened Eclipse sticks for $15. I've used the one and still have yet to need a second; even with my horrible FX D600.

If you shoot wide open, almost no sensor dirt shows up.

Yeah, mine doesn't start to show the spots until about f/11 and I rarely shoot above that. The eclipse fluid is VERY good at removing the oil.

These pec pads you speak of... would they be similar to KimWipes?

Kimtech Science KimWipes Delicate Task Wipers; 4.4 x 8.4 in. (11.2 x 21.3cm); 1-ply 280 count: Science Lab Disposable Wipes: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I know that the low pass filter on my D7000 is tougher than folks would like to admit, so If I can grab a dollar store spatula, cut it down and use Kimwipes with eclipse fluid... I'm in like Flynn.

May even try this and see...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back