rebel vs mark

brendyngunn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a passion for family portraiture but I am confused on how far my canon rebel xti will take me and when I need to upgrade to a mark. I want to specialize in infant/children portraits both candid and posed.

What do you mean by "upgrade to a mark"?

That is an open question...

How long have you been shooting? In other words what is your experience level?

Maybe some more details about yourself (not personal stuff), this way the answer will be much more specific to your needs.

I would have to say if you can afford it and some good glass... Get it! I can't afford it so I'm getting some good glass first and then will upgrade the body later. After all, the body is nothing without the lenses to match. Right?

I have been shooting for the last 4 years mainly with the auto settings on my camera but have recently been reading books and learning how to use the full manual setting. I would like my images to look more professional. Not sure if it's a matter of skill level or if it's my camera. I feel pretty confident with my knowledge of exposure settings, but I still don't get crystal clear images. Thanks for the help and feedback

maybe a tripod or a Image stabalization lense? my IS 50-250mm works great on getting clean pictures w/o a tripod

'mark' is something Canon uses to specify a 'next generation' of a certain model name. For example, there is the 5D, and the newer version, the 5D mark II (two).
There is also the 1D and following models; 1D mark II, 1D mark III & 1D mark IV.

So when you say "when I need to upgrade to a mark.", you aren't really specifying another model to upgrade to.

I would like my images to look more professional. Not sure if it's a matter of skill level or if it's my camera.
It's most likely a matter of skill and/or technique...perhaps in both photography and post processing. The next most likely issue may be the quality of the lens or lenses you are using. In other words, there are plenty of things to look at before the camera itself.

If you can post some examples of the problems you are having, along with the EXIF info (aperture, shutter speed etc), we can probably help to diagnose the problem.

I have been shooting for the last 4 years mainly with the auto settings on my camera but have recently been reading books and learning how to use the full manual setting. I would like my images to look more professional. Not sure if it's a matter of skill level or if it's my camera. I feel pretty confident with my knowledge of exposure settings, but I still don't get crystal clear images. Thanks for the help and feedback

How can you feel confident with exposure settings when you have been shooting on auto for 4 years the camera has been doing it for you, so you are probably another 4 years before you need to upgrade to a better camera

Sounds like you have not pushed your current camera to it's fullest. Until then the body you have will do you fine. Professional looking images do not come from camera bodies, they come from photographers that are accomplished in their craft. I would suggest that you practice with what you have. Your skills will have matured to the point of changing when you know what and how your current body is limiting you.

If you are interest in family/children portraiture and improving you image check out your local library or book store for books on the subject. Good Luck.

I think you will know when it's time for you to upgrade. If you have to ask, then you have not outgrown your camera.

I think you will know when it's time for you to upgrade. If you have to ask, then you have not outgrown your camera.
:thumbup:

get your self used 40D or 50D and you'll be using that camera for a very long time :)

If you're serious about portraiture, worry about learning about light and not about buying another camera. In most situations, light is more important that the body or the lens. You'll often not be shooting wide open, so even apertures of f/5.6-f/11 are more than acceptable to use.

Most reactions

Back