Rebel XS to 50D?

ZackG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Rebel XS with a few lenses. I'm debating selling the body and getting a 50D. Would this be worth it? I've been doing research and what not and so far it seems to be a toss up. I prefer doing a lot of landscape, nature photography, and up close. I really don't want to do HD video like the T2i, so I don't want to pay for such a feature. Anyone have any opinions on this? Thanks

I have a Rebel XS with a few lenses. I'm debating selling the body and getting a 50D. Would this be worth it? I've been doing research and what not and so far it seems to be a toss up. I prefer doing a lot of landscape, nature photography, and up close. I really don't want to do HD video like the T2i, so I don't want to pay for such a feature. Anyone have any opinions on this? Thanks
A toss up? How?

That's a hell of a jump from a lowly entry-level XS to a prosumer 50D.

What about the XS is no longer meeting your needs?

I do (or atleast to do) many enlargements (20x30). I think the XS starts to get stretched at that size. From what I'm reading, the 50D may not be a far better camera, but it makes taking far better pictures easy. Seems like it's a little tricky to get a good focus on some items. The 50D seems like it's more stable. Basically if you look at sample photos from both cameras, you can easily tell the difference between the 2. A 7D would be NICE, but I ain't spending that nor am I good enough nor have the experience to utilize such a camera.

edit: A toss up because what i see is that with Low ISO (<400), it doesn't really excel that well.

The XS has resolution at 3906 pixels x 2602 pixels. That means that at 100 ppi the image can be printed at 39.06 inches x 26.02 inches.

20 x 30 prints are not viewed close up, they are typically viewed from 4 feet away or more.

So your XS images could be printed as 20x30's at 130 ppi, not be stretched at all, and it's doubtful anyone but you would know. If you were to want to print at a higher ppi using the Bicubic Sharper algorithm yields good results when up resizing an image.

As for ISO performance check an independent testing labs results show the XS performs a smidgen better than the 50d in low-light ISO:

Compare cameras

I also read the same thing about the ISO. I usually shoot between 100-400, sometimes 800 if I have to. I usually use the kodak gallery to do my enlargements and I believe they go with 150ppi. Don't quote me on that though. When I first started to want to upgrade to something, I looked at a macro lens. Then I thought I could get a 35mm film camera and still use my same lenses. Then I said well a 50D would be a better upgrade. And now I started to look at 7D's. haha. Amazing how that snowballs, right?

Most reactions

Back