Rebel XSi

rockandrowland

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was going to buy myself a Nikon sometime soon, but my parents have offered to purchase a camera for me. The one they want to buy me is the Rebel XSi (they either know someone to sell it to them, or found it on sale)... with the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. It's not the brand I was researching, so I don't really know that much about it, and when I read reviews, most of the time I get really lost in the jargon. I am by no means an expert photographer, but I have experience working with high quality photos through my graphic design work. I have also been told that I am a “natural” and have a good eye. Is this a camera that can grow with me? I don't want to have to replace it in a few years, I'd like to hold onto it for a while.
If I decide to get it, what lenses should I be looking at for photographing bands and fun shots with friends? (maybe some macro?)

It is an excellent camera and Canon glass is superb. I might consider another lens rather than that kit lens. That said, many Nikons are excellent choices too. Which Nikon body/lens combination were you looking at? With that info, people here can give you a better idea of the benefits of either choice.

Ian

The XSi is a perfectly capable camera. It is the low end of the Canon dSLR line (though not the lowest, that's the XS). It's a great camera for a beginner, and hey, it's free ;)

The lens it comes with isn't great, but with the money you were saving up for a Nikon you can buy new glass.

Don't get caught up in brands...they are really quite similar.

The camera is a good one.

The camera I was looking at was the Nikon D80- I was just going to get a few VR lenses

Last edited:
The EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens included with the Rebel XSi camera features optical image stabilization (IS), which is Canon's version of Nikon's Vibration Reduction (VR) to compensate for hand-held camera shake.

The Rebel XSi is capable of taking excellent photographs. You may want to try out a few different models to compare the ergonomics. The Rebel XSi is smaller and lighter than an EOS 30D or 40D or the Nikon D80 that you were considering. Some folks like the smaller body, and some dislike it.

Canon has a very large selection of lenses available that would work with the Rebel XSi. There are over 5 dozen currently-offered Canon lenses for the EF and EF-S mount, plus every EF lens manufactured since 1987 will function fully when mounted on the camera.

Nikon also has a large selection of lenses. The D80 is capable of using many of them, while the lesser D40 and D60 force more manual operation with older (non-AF-S) Nikkor-F lenses. The F-mount goes all the way back to 1959.

I have it. I am new to photography, but I was able to capture some very nice exposures with this camera. The only complaint I have is that after palying with 30D I found the XSI ergos a little cramped and tight - I loved the feel of 30D in my hands. But like in your case, I had my father in law sell me this camera at a fraction of the cost in the stores and I took it without much research. I love it now. Oh BTW, kit lens didn't work for me - I upraded to canon 50mm/f1.8 and sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 OS very fast....and just learned hard way that the glass you have is never enough for what you want to do with it :)

I know there is no simple answer for most of my questions, but is there anyplace online that shows different pictures taken with a range of lenses? I don't even really know the first thing about buying lenses. I believe the one I used before was had a really wide range and it worked well, but when I zoomed in tight, image quality suffered. I will be shooting outdoors (day and night) and poorly lit rooms.

Most reactions

Back