rebel XT DPI question

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by nomav6, Aug 31, 2006.

1. nomav6

nomav6 TPF Noob!

whats up, not sure if this is the right place, but I've been shooting for some time now, and now I'm stepping into stuff on a much larger scale and I'm wondering if my camera can do it, I have the canon eos xt, and everything I shoot is at 72dpi, and I was wondering if thats the most that it can do, cause I really need around 300dpi or so, or do I need to step up my camera? if so will the 20D be able to do 300dpi?

2. tempra

tempra TPF Noob!

Shoot in RAW and when you convert to tiff, save them at 300 dpi. I think the default resolution for large jpeg is 180 dpi (at least it is on my 10D)

72 dpi is web resolution, so if you are saving them for web use in photoshop, it will save them at 72 dpi, use the save as function instead.

3. nomav6

nomav6 TPF Noob!

thanks, I'll try shooting in raw tonight, but I wont have photoshop to use on my laptop, but I will have the GIMP.

4. tempra

tempra TPF Noob!

Gimp won't be able to convert the RAW images, you will have to use zoombrowser or install rawshooter essentials to be able to convert them.

Actually, thinking about it, using Gimp might be the reason that all your pics are at 72dpi, but I'm not sure of that, it's been about 5 years since I last used it.

5. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Don't worry about dpi; it's just scale for printing. Resolution is what is important, and the Rebel XT and 20D have the same resolution.

Divide resolution by dpi and you get print size. You can change dpi in most graphic editors without resampling the image, but if you are having a lab print your photos just let them worry about it.

6. nomav6

nomav6 TPF Noob!

I print all my stuff, and its not gimp that I'm having a problem with, my main computer has CS2 on it, but I'll have to test everything out tomorrow, just got in from shooting and its time for bed :) thanks for all the advise. :)

7. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    all you need to do is to go into photoshop, resize image, uncheck resample image, and select what DPI you want. I often do this with my D70 beucase the images nativly come out at 300dpi.

8. nomav6

nomav6 TPF Noob!

I've tried everything and I'm still only getting 72dpi, at 32x48 and when I print a 32X48 it looks like crap.

9. LWW

LWW TPF Noob!

72 DPI at 32 X 48 = 300 DPI at roughly 7.5 X 11.5. Simply resize the photo.

LWW

10. Unimaxium

Unimaxium TPF Noob!

Northeastern University, originally from Philly
    Photos OK to edit
    You shouldn't really print stuff at 72dpi. 72dpi is a general resolution for viewing on a computer monitor, while 300dpi is better for printing. If you want to print a 32x48 inch photo, you'd need an image resolution of 14400x9600 pixels to print at 300dpi, or approx. 138megapixels. You'd need to move up to large format digital for that. That's why your photos don't look good when you print them that large.

11. nomav6

nomav6 TPF Noob!

cool, I was wondering if it could do 300dpi at a large size photo, sorry if I wasn't to clear on it, because 7.5X11.5 isn't gonna work :(
    Thanks

12. LWW

LWW TPF Noob!

If you take your file into PS and double it's MB size and then print at 200 DPI you should get a pretty good photo at any distance from arm's length on out.

LWW