Rebel XT is my first camera, not just SLR(lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by DSLR noob, Feb 7, 2007.

1. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    If you don't really care about reading a lengthy story, skip to the red text.

Well I have always been told I have an artistic eye and I love drawing, and graphic design on photoshop. I have never had a digital camera on account that I always had friends that could take pictures for me (never really wanted to take pictures as an art form) then my friend got a canon Digital Rebel (300D) and I was in love with the shots he was taking with it and even just the kit lens. Then I got into a relationship with a girl who LOVES photography and I got really into it. Around Christmas time I wanted a Camera to get into photography as an art form(also I needed a digital camera for anything, parties, my car, memories, and just whatever. Then I remembered my friend's Rebel and decided I wanted something nice. I started reading about cameras and came to realize my friend had a DSLR and I wanted an ultrazoom point and shoot but found out that an SLR was exactly what I wanted. An artist has to have good tools and this was no exception. It was agreed I'd get the camera if I researched how to use it and what'd be my best match for price. I settled in my Canon Digital Rebel XT(350D) with a 2 gig CF card, the 18-55mm f/3.5-f/4 kit lens and a 50mm 1.8 lens as well. I also have a tripod but it is defective (one leg doesn't extend) so I am getting that replaced.
    So I have been reading and reading about techniques but would like personal feedback.

P.S. most of these are shot in the 'creative zone(P, Av, Tv, M, and A-Dep)' but some are in auto. I also just learned how to convert RAw files with CS2 so none of these started RAW, from now on I will shoot RAW. I would just like feedback on my shot.

Anyone know automotive?(preferred)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

edited to:
    [​IMG]
    Macro Advice (please don't tell me to buy a macro lens, I'm strapped for cash, I just want advice)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Portrait advice?
    [​IMG]

Random Advice?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Also if anyone could, how can I get vibrant saturated colors without feeling like a cheat and photoshopping up the conrast and saturation (or is that the sad truth to getting that effect?). I heard shooting in RAW will help me with the colors. Also Canon has a Perameter 1 and 2 and I've only shot in Parameter1 and maybe 2 would give me more complete tones. any advice or something you see lacking as a general pattern from all my pics I'd love to hear about.

3. burtharrris

burtharrris TPF Noob!

Raw doesn't give any extra image alterations, and that is why it is useful -- it's the raw file without alterations. The only way to boost colors is alterations in Photoshop.
    Those shots would not have been any better in RAW, your monitor only displays 72 ppi. RAW files are really big; most useful when you're making large prints, not web display.
    And some of them are pretty cool shots. The car shots aren't particularly exciting, but I love the license plate!

4. Peanuts

Peanuts TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Looks like you are off to a great start. One way I found to just 'pop' those colours in a 'traditional' fashion is to overexpose by 1/3. I know, it goes against everything the majority of people say about underexposing because you can always bring the darker detail back in, but I found colours are just so much better with that slight (note: slight) extra punch of exposure. By shooting in RAW, you will have full control over these on the computer.

For example, just quickly browsing, the NERDs, Deck, and the last four all seem jsut slightly underexposed. (Not certain about the portrait). By shooting in RAW, you can easily fix these, but to cut down on the noise and the likes, I always find it best to either hit the exposure right on the nose or slightly over.

Welcome and looking forward to seeing more of your work :)

5. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you for all of the help. I'll try the exposure compensation. as for not being exciting, I still need to bring my camera with me to more places, for shots I'm not expecting to get until I see them.

And the plate. I guess you are familiar with the Rx-7. I love my car sooo much.

6. burtharrris

burtharrris TPF Noob!

Oh yeah, I think rotary engines are awesome. Old RX-7's are cars that are great when it comes to inexpensive performance. Well, buying the car initially. The engines get expensive, but thats another story...

But back to photography, I get the best shots when I don't expect it. I carry my camera in my backpack all the time now.

7. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you flip through the Rebel's menus, you'll find a plethora of image enhancements. And yes, photoshop is how you get insane color sturation and no, it is not 'cheating'. It's just the digital darkroom.

8. fightheheathens

fightheheathens TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    one way to get more vibrant colors is to shoot a certian times of Day.
    shooting at noon will give you flat pictures, not much depth and okish colors, but if you shoot early in the morning, or late in the evening the colors will pop more. the lower the sun is in the sky, the more depth to the colors you will see. And yes, photoshop is ok as long as it enhances the picture, not saves it :)