Rebel XTi Help

I have the T3i and while it may go up to 6400, I wouldn't push it past 1600 for most of my images. I have but I typically don't like the results.

See, I find that really interesting because that's all I've been using in order to get decent light from my indoor shots. Do you keep yours on M, AV, or TV? I think I've been relying too much on AV and TV not realizing what the camera is actually doing. Now that I'm reading a little more about the settings it's making more sense to me why some of the photos would come out bad on Manual mode.

I remember when I first got the camera, I put it on M..probably wasn't used to the interface yet and didn't realize the shutter speed was on 1" or something lower and pressed the button and it's like it froze haha. I stopped using Manual mode, because I didn't understand what was actually going on.

That's why you may need to read and learn more about lighting. It is better to have the control of light. For product shooting, I really do not see why you need to shoot at ISO 1600. You can, but why? Shutter speed is not important as long as it is not too slow nor faster than the x-sync speed. So 1/160, 1/200 or 1/250 is enough. After all, the lights flash a lot faster anyway. And that is why I say you will not see much different between the 2 cameras.

Sorry I forgot to make a small correction. We're not doing product shoots. It's multiple people in a corporate environment kind of shoot. But I presume the same techniques would apply.
It's really starting to sound like I need sit down and read through my manual thoroughly, and play with stuff.

I have the T3i and while it may go up to 6400, I wouldn't push it past 1600 for most of my images. I have but I typically don't like the results.

See, I find that really interesting because that's all I've been using in order to get decent light from my indoor shots. Do you keep yours on M, AV, or TV? I think I've been relying too much on AV and TV not realizing what the camera is actually doing. Now that I'm reading a little more about the settings it's making more sense to me why some of the photos would come out bad on Manual mode.

I remember when I first got the camera, I put it on M..probably wasn't used to the interface yet and didn't realize the shutter speed was on 1" or something lower and pressed the button and it's like it froze haha. I stopped using Manual mode, because I didn't understand what was actually going on.

Most of the time I use either AV or Manual.

That's why you may need to read and learn more about lighting. It is better to have the control of light. For product shooting, I really do not see why you need to shoot at ISO 1600. You can, but why? Shutter speed is not important as long as it is not too slow nor faster than the x-sync speed. So 1/160, 1/200 or 1/250 is enough. After all, the lights flash a lot faster anyway. And that is why I say you will not see much different between the 2 cameras.

Sorry I forgot to make a small correction. We're not doing product shoots. It's multiple people in a corporate environment kind of shoot. But I presume the same techniques would apply.
It's really starting to sound like I need sit down and read through my manual thoroughly, and play with stuff.

I see. Well, for that control of light still essential.

From the web, I like these 2 sites

http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/
Strobist: Lighting 101

UPDATE: I got around to fiddling with my boss's T3i and I'm noticing some dramatic differences. Idk, I still think my camera's age is showing in the photos. The photos I took with the T3i were significantly 'brighter' and clearer (is that a word? whatevs).

I just took some random photos in one of our training rooms.

Here are the specs for the photos.

T3i handle - f/5.6 1/125 s ISO 400 18-200 at 110mm
XTi handle - f/5.6 1/125 s ISO 400 18-200 at 130mm
T3i work station - f/8 1/125 ISO 400 18-200 at 18mm
XTi work station - f/8 1/50 s ISO 400 18-200 at 20mm

Attachments

• $Handle T3i.jpg
    $Handle T3i.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 132
  • $Handle XTi.jpg
    $Handle XTi.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 136
  • $Work Station T3i.jpg
    $Work Station T3i.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 139
  • $Work Station XTi.jpg
    $Work Station XTi.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 130
Nice side by side comparison. I would agree that the T3i is brighter in spite of the fact that it is using a faster shutter speed on the work station. Interesting.

Nice side by side comparison. I would agree that the T3i is brighter in spite of the fact that it is using a faster shutter speed on the work station. Interesting.

Yea haha, so while I still am not claiming to be a master photography by any means..I'm also relatively confident it's not all my lack of skill that I've temporarily lost/forgotten. I really just think it's age..

Any more thoughts?

This experiment today has made me question selling my XTi with the IS lenses to someone learning, keeping the flash and going for my own T3i.

I wouldn't talk you out of it, but if you are going up to the T3i, I would consider the 60D as well. It's more camera and can be had for about the same money. Both of those camera's have been replaced by new models. (70D and the T5i).

I wouldn't talk you out of it, but if you are going up to the T3i, I would consider the 60D as well. It's more camera and can be had for about the same money. Both of those camera's have been replaced by new models. (70D and the T5i).

I'll have to do some research on whether my flash will work with them or not but as far as losing the lenses..I got them used, so I'm thinking with everything I have with it:
18-55 non IS
55-200 non IS
18-55 IS
55-200 IS
Bag
Battery
Cables and manual
Body.......$500 Fair craigslist price?
That 4 lenses! Or should I set the price higher?

The T3i should be a little bit of a step up vs. the XTi, as are the cameras you listed in your OP. Normally, I'm not a big fan of "upgrade first and ask questions later", so I applaud you for looking into this before pulling out the credit card. There's some really good advice in earlier posts regarding lighting and stabilizing your camera. Regardless of whether you end up upgrading, be sure to follow up with some of those suggestions for best results. I agree that technique is at least part of the problem here.

As well as improving your skills, you might consider a better lens at some point. Depending on what focal length(s) you need, this might not be a huge investment -- Canon's 50mm f/1.8 is quite inexpensive, and it can produce good results when used correctly (no IS on that lens, though, so there's no way you'd get away with the shutter speeds in your example photos).

In any event, if you do still wind up looking at an upgraded body, you should be aware that the 6D won't work with your EF-S lenses, so you'd need to plan to upgrade those as well should you go that route. I'd also skip the 7D unless you're doing sports / action photography, where its speed and focus capabilities really help. The 70D, on the other hand, would be a great all-around upgrade for you -- especially with better lenses.

The T3i should be a little bit of a step up vs. the XTi, as are the cameras you listed in your OP. Normally, I'm not a big fan of "upgrade first and ask questions later", so I applaud you for looking into this before pulling out the credit card. There's some really good advice in earlier posts regarding lighting and stabilizing your camera. Regardless of whether you end up upgrading, be sure to follow up with some of those suggestions for best results. I agree that technique is at least part of the problem here.

As well as improving your skills, you might consider a better lens at some point. Depending on what focal length(s) you need, this might not be a huge investment -- Canon's 50mm f/1.8 is quite inexpensive, and it can produce good results when used correctly (no IS on that lens, though, so there's no way you'd get away with the shutter speeds in your example photos).

In any event, if you do still wind up looking at an upgraded body, you should be aware that the 6D won't work with your EF-S lenses, so you'd need to plan to upgrade those as well should you go that route. I'd also skip the 7D unless you're doing sports / action photography, where its speed and focus capabilities really help. The 70D, on the other hand, would be a great all-around upgrade for you -- especially with better lenses.

yea, lots to consider here. I'd def thought very seriously about the 50mm lens. Gonna have to play my cards just right on this one. Got a gig with a non profit this summer that I do free graphic work for and occasionally take photos for (this is where the sudden "hey I better get new equipment" came in. Sick of poor low light shots.)

Do you all think $5-600 is a fair price to ask someone on cragslist for all my current equipment (not counting the flash, I'm keeping that bad boy..) If I can get a decent amount back, then I can put a minimum amount on my credit card.

OH, also, I will be using a tripod for this upcoming project for my job. Nonethess, I think there's a clear quality difference in the two cameras.

Do you all think $5-600 is a fair price to ask someone on cragslist for all my current equipment (not counting the flash, I'm keeping that bad boy..) If I can get a decent amount back, then I can put a minimum amount on my credit card.

If I'm reading that list correctly, you've basically got two sets of two lenses -- one IS and one not. If that's the case, I'm not sure your 4-lens bundle is going to fetch much more than a 2-lens bundle. You could try listing it, but I'd also consider listing the two non-IS lenses individually, and then sell the IS lenses w/ the XTi, or vice-versa. You might get a little more for the kit that way.

If I'm reading that list correctly, you've basically got two sets of two lenses -- one IS and one not. If that's the case, I'm not sure your 4-lens bundle is going to fetch much more than a 2-lens bundle. You could try listing it, but I'd also consider listing the two non-IS lenses individually, and then sell the IS lenses w/ the XTi, or vice-versa. You might get a little more for the kit that way.

Oh ok, so bundle the two IS lenses with the XTi and price 'em at $400-450 and try and sell the other two for $50 and $100?

Oh ok, so bundle the two IS lenses with the XTi and price 'em at $400-450 and try and sell the other two for $50 and $100?

Something like that - it's a little more putzing around, but I just don't think those two near-duplicate lenses are going to help the value of your bundle much. Just my $0.02, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Most reactions

Back