RECALL: Nikon D70, D50, D100 defective battery packs!

Dweller

Inconspicuous Supporter
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls04/2005/nikons.html

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/m...story/11-08-2005/0004210557&EDATE=Nov+8,+2005

Nikon is recalling the rechargeable battery packs sold with its digital SLR cameras. The battery packs can short circuit, causing them to overheat and possibly melt, posing a burn hazard to consumers.

Description: The recall involves the Nikon rechargeable lithium ion battery pack with model number EN-EL3, which is written on the side of the battery. The batteries are rated at 7.4V/1400mAh, which also is written on the battery. The battery is included as a power source for Nikon’s digital SLR D100, D70, and D50 model cameras. The battery pack was also sold separately.

The units were sold at camera, mass merchandise, catalog, Internet, and office supply stores nationwide from May 2004 through November 2005 for about $50 for the battery only and about $800 to $1500 when sold with the digital SLR camera.

Consumers with battery backs with model number EN-EL3 should contact Nikon’s Web site to determine if it is included in the recall. If so, they should stop using it immediately. Nikon will provide a free replacement battery pack.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Nikon Inc. Customer Service at (800) 645-6678 anytime, or access Nikon’s Web site at www.nikonusa.com.

The recall is being conducted in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

not good news certainly.. but since I may end up purchsing one of those cameras next year and I know a lot of people here have them I thought I should pass along the news.

I hope no one here is effected.

Geez.. First I was effected by the service advisory which left me rescheduling paid shoots while they gave me a "complimentary" service, I now need a replacement battery.

If you read whats on Nikons site it says that this problem has only happened to 4 cameras World Wide. This is not a major issue for Nikon. Its just like when Ford recalls all vehicles because of a bad cigarette lighter.

They could have easily just ignored the issue and play the odds. But they did what we hoped they would do, and eat the bad batteries. Mine wasn't on the list but I wish it was. The newer EN-EL3a has longer life then the older version. Oh well.

JMO

K

For those in the Toronto area I walked into Nikon today on 1366 Aerowood and they replaced the battery right away. I had my PDF form filled out and thats all they needed. Much faster then sending the battery in.

If it makes you feel any better Canon is recalling their super aspherical journalistic 24-105 because it flares inconsistently.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back