Recent Maternity - Constructive Criticism Needed

milavidal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here are a couple of photos from a recent session. She was 30 weeks at the time. I used my Nikon D80, 50mm 1.8, sb800. I used the sb800 off camera, and bounced it off the ceiling. Would shooting it through an umbrella give me better results with lighting the face? Most of the pictures came out with some sort of shadow on eyes and chin. I'd love to get a second external flash but I'm holding off =[. The silhouette and a couple of them were done by using outdoor lighting through sliding door with a white thin fabric. Anyway, constructive criticism is always appreciated. I'd like to know what I could have done better!

DSC_4886ss.jpg

DSC_4890d-1.jpg

3. I know all the b&w are blown out, but she actually requested them that way.
DSC_4893d.jpg

DSC_4911copy.jpg

DSC_4921s.jpg

DSC_4932d.jpg

DSC_4885copy.jpg

DSC_4877g.jpg

DSC_4871d.jpg

Last edited:
I like them!!
I think you did a great job

I'm very much a beginner, so I can't really give any critique (if you even need it)
but they are really great... I really like the 8th

Thank you LynziMarie. That was her favorite one too. Too bad I didnt have enough room to work with, otherwise, I wouldnt have chopped off the legs! =]

21 views and 1 comment?

Guest views (who cant comment) count too, so keep that in mind. And give it some time, they've barely been up 2 hours.

I think you did a really nice job on these. Shooting through an umbrella would definitely give you softer lighting but you're already doing pretty good. They shadows in these aren't overly distracting or ugly to me. You can also make your own diffuser with paper, a milk jug, or whatever you can think of.

3, 6, and 8 are my faves. I think the high contrast of 3 and 8 work very nicely with these kinds of photos and you did it well. #6 is a nice classic maternity pose and her expression is lovely.

I think the colors in some of them like 2, 7, and 9 could pop a bit more like they do in #1.

Overall nice job. I bet she was pleased!

all are good. 8 is the money shot f or me. i like 3 a lot, but i really would bring *some* detail back into the blacks. Her pants look like a black hole.

Most reactions

Back