recent photos of my Nissan Juke

terryc967

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took some pictures of my Nissan juke with this graffiti background, I have been wanting to take pictures at this spot for awhile and the weather was finally just right. In my editing I really wanted the colors to jump out. Any critiques are welcome.

IMG_1374-1 by terryc967, on Flickr

IMG_1361-1 by terryc967, on Flickr

Here is the second spot I went to an old Gin that shut down.

IMG_1359-1 by terryc967, on Flickr

IMG_1358-1 by terryc967, on Flickr

IMG_1357b&w by terryc967, on Flickr

IMG_1357 by terryc967, on Flickr

Hi Terry - great location! A couple of tips for shooting cars. If the car is the subject - shooting in hard direct sun is very difficult. The contrast and exposure on the car is too dark to see details. Try going back to this location late in the day, and preferably with the car in shade or right as the sun is setting. Spot meter on the car to get exposure correct. You will also get some great highlights on the roof and hood from the sky in shade. Second if you try some fill flash on manual with the flash turned down you can get some light into the lower areas. IF you have the ability, off camera flash is even better. Keep at it - shooting autos is tough.

What model camera are you using? It looks like you are exposing for the whole frame - so the background are coming out wonderful, but your very dark blue car is under exposed and little detail is coming out. Can you shoot in manual mode or change the meter reading area? You would be able to force the exposure to fit the car, and let the background blow out(go overexposed). You would have to decide what is going to be exposed "correctly" but it will be difficult to have both with mid day sun. I like the top photo - still a little dark, but it looks like it has a story. Great reflections in the paint.

the camera in my sig, its a point shoot and I don't have complete control of everything that I would like.

OK Terry - that makes sense. It is hard if not impossible get exactly what you may want when you have such high contrast and the camera is controlling the exposure. Like I said the landscapes are wonderfully exposed . I wonder if you try some of the other program modes (what ever it has) to experiment with you may get some surprising results. Who knows right?

I don't know how much light is on the graffiti wall at night but setting the camera on a tripod with a long exposure might give you a really nice look.

Most reactions

Back