Recent session, 3 children

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Did this session for a friend.. teh 2 yr old was very sick, but she didn't want to cancel on me! I told her I would have understood of course... but alas. Here's what I go. Would love HHCC on everything. Shot with my Rebel XT, 50mm lens, mostly F4 and shutter varied between 200 and above. A few were in direct sun because I had the lovely oppurtunity of mixed lighting of sun coming in and out of the clouds :getlost:

IMG_4494.jpg

IMG_4536copy.jpg

3. (does this work? I like it!)
IMG_4541.jpg

4. which one, color or b&w? does the conversion work? the whites are hot, but shouldn't be too hot..
IMG_4544.jpg
IMG_4544copy.jpg

IMG_4566.jpg
IMG_4566copy.jpg

IMG_46214-1.jpg
IMG_4621-1.jpg

IMG_4615.jpg

Good work under what I suspect were difficult circumstances. I'll start off by saying that I don't much like #2 or the BW versions of 4 and 5. I think the choice of an all white outfit (The hat especially which casts some annoying shadows in some of the images) and the young boy's white shirt is too much, but you've done a good job of not losing detail. I very much like #3 - IMO, the best of the group. The last two are rather over-bright in the skin highlights, but it looks like it's mostly salvable in post.

nice pics. wont comment much, since i know next to nothing about photography. i just wanted to say #3 is awesome! made me smile and feel all warm and fuzzy inside ;)

Thanks for commenting guys! John, I disagreed on the hat and the big bow on the babies head, also. Those shadows were very annoying to deal with. Seems you like my color work much more than my b&w stuff... is that a personal preference overall with you or is it something about my coversions you don't like? Thanks again :)

Thanks for commenting guys! John, I disagreed on the hat and the big bow on the babies head, also. Those shadows were very annoying to deal with. Seems you like my color work much more than my b&w stuff... is that a personal preference overall with you or is it something about my coversions you don't like? Thanks again :)

Not strictly true

/me Points to your current avatar ;)

I'll give you my thoughts on these conversions:

#2: Just too darn bright for my tastes. Mostly as a result of all the white in the image, but I really want to reach into the image and "turn it down".

#4: Too much mid-tone; every shade of grey, some white, but no real black. What it needs is more contrast, but again very difficult because of the clothing choices.

#5: Much the same as for #2; the white (esp. her right shoulder and hat) is so bright that it's almost haloing.

#6: Exposures in this one are much easier on the eyes, but I don't think the sepia-esque treatment suits the subject; if they were dressed on older style clothing perhaps, but you don't see to many classic sepia prints with people wearing lepord skin!

As I said earlier, I realize that most of this is not your fault; this would be like trying to shoot a wedding with everyone wearing white. I think under the circumstances you did remarkably well.

How cute is #6??? LOVE it! I'm not digging the post work on #2, it's too bright for my taste, but the personal preference and nothing more. I also love #7. The skin is bright, but I think it works with the baby. Bright and fresh, kwim?
I do think #3 works. It's unique and fun. I really like it. If I was mom, I would have it made into a canvas for something really nice to hang on my wall.
I like the conversion on #4 and #6 but not so much on #5. Again, too bright for my taste.
Kelly, you always do great work and these are no exception. Your work is really evolving and it keeps getting better. Keep it up!

You guys are so great, thanks for taking the time to CC them all! I love the feedback. I wonder if the mom will also think them too bright? At times, I look at them and think.. ya way too bright. and then wehn I see the print, I think just right! Ah, I need to develop my eye more methinks. Thank you guys again :)

You guys are so great, thanks for taking the time to CC them all! I love the feedback. I wonder if the mom will also think them too bright? At times, I look at them and think.. ya way too bright. and then wehn I see the print, I think just right! Ah, I need to develop my eye more methinks. Thank you guys again :)

Out of curiosity, what do the original histograms (esp #7) look like?

Oh they are all (mostly) perfectly exposed. I push it in PS, to taste. I find my taste is for super brights.. but they I come back to them and get feedback and think they may just be TOO bright for other people. I have a SOOC uploaded in PB right now of #6 to give you an idea.
IMG_46261.jpg

good work. verry nice.

Oh they are all (mostly) perfectly exposed. I push it in PS, to taste. I find my taste is for super brights.. but they I come back to them and get feedback and think they may just be TOO bright for other people. I have a SOOC uploaded in PB right now of #6 to give you an idea.
IMG_46261.jpg
I push mine in PS too. I prefer a bit brighter than most people.

Kelly- I would like to add a comment or two if that OK-
The problem is not the white suite per se- Its that the white is the "wrong" white for your subjects skin town. It makes her seem more like Mr. Clean than a real person. And she makes the white almost glow. And the Black glasses don't help. That is why the color images work better in this case. The tend to soften the tension between the skin tone and the stark bright white. The hat is too much over her face too often. The children came out great. I think that selectively adding a touch of brown or sepia to the white suit would improve the balance and make her not so much a Evangelist's vision of the angel of the Lord and more of a proud mother.
Just my humble- you know.
Judge Sharpe
PS You know that I love your B_W most of the time, but here I don't.

IMG_46261.jpg

To me, the exposure on that one looks ideal, but it's slightly (just slightly) lacking in saturation. I suspect that some of my comments might arise from the fact that I have to view your images on this super-high-quality non-colour-corrected work monitor.

Most reactions

Back