Recent Shoot C&C Please

Let me guess. You had the camera on auto focus.

Stupid Question .... - Does Manual Focus produce sharper images? You know how my images are SOOOO sharp all the time... (NOT),,, even close.

I use auto focus... should I use manual... ? Anyone can answer... but I know Max just tells it how it is.. I like that about you Max! bad good ugly.,.Max does not blow smoke up your whoha

When shooting kids in motion, I use auto focus. But when shooting kids who are sitting pretty still, I use manual focus so that I can get the eyes really sharp.

Well since Max's little green light in not currently ON, I will say get used to manual focusing! Relying on electronics to pull your focus is mostly for P&S photography.

Your eye and brain is, and always will be better than anything engineered, in this case she could have captured the focus of the child's face with a tiny twist of the focus ring.

Sharpness, in my short career is a function of good light, focus and fast shutter speed. I'm sure other's will have more to say.

-Shea

I just took a couple of test shots using manual focus on wiggly kids... The eyes are so sharp. Thank you !!!

Lol just had to jump in here and say that you will not find any professional children's photographers who use manual focus. You cannot do that with children- or really with portraits at all. People who tell you that are misinformed.

I suggest manually adjusting your aperture, shutter, and ISO on your own, and using automatic focus with placing the little focus square in the corner of the subjects eye.

I just took a couple of test shots using manual focus on wiggly kids... The eyes are so sharp. Thank you !!!

Interesting in light of the strong opinions offered here. :lol:

-Shea

Lol just had to jump in here and say that you will not find any professional children's photographers who use manual focus. You cannot do that with children- or really with portraits at all. People who tell you that are misinformed.

I suggest manually adjusting your aperture, shutter, and ISO on your own, and using automatic focus with placing the little focus square in the corner of the subjects eye.

My kid pics seem to be so soft all the time..... I'll try auto focus and box in the corner of the eye... I'll try anything at this point! thanks Erin

Its nice that digital gives you the ability to try try try.... until you get it right! I'm doing a photoshoot today with my kids.... I'll see what happens... I'll put some pics on People and Pets.. Since its not a pro shoot..

You've been trying to auto focus?! oh you just can't do that for portraits, you'll get so frustrated! Definitely switch over to auto (some people like something called back button focus- search it on google) and remember to place your focus point in the corner of the eye closest to you. Remember if you're aperture is low the eyes should be on level plains. If the head is tilted, you'll need to be higher than about 2.8 usually, but it depends on how close to the subject you're standing.

Also there are two methods to auto focus. One is recomposing- locking focus on the eyes, keeping the button down, and then composing your shot and clicking without auto focusing again. That tends to be the more difficult way.

I switch my focus points around very quickly when shooting. It was hard to get used to it but now I do. I look at my scene, quickly adjust my focus points (I actually use the right focus point 80 percent of the time since that is what helps me with my rule of thirds and composition) and then I put the little square focus point on the corner of the eye and click.

Do not manually focus! I used to do that when I started because I thought the pros were- they're not in the children's photography industry! Lol go out and shoot on auto focus and I think you will be much happier.

Ps. Zen, I wish you lived closer to me- darn. I'd take you out and photograph your kids and tell you everything I was doing while I was doing it. I see how hard you work at it and want to see you really excel!

Ps. Zen, I wish you lived closer to me- darn. I'd take you out and photograph your kids and tell you everything I was doing while I was doing it. I see how hard you work at it and want to see you really excel!

Erin. Thank you so much for all your help!! I will try that and post a pic. I use to live in NYC.. DARN now I live in Colorado. It would be fun.. My brothers still live in NYC. They live in Brooklyn and Long Island. So when I visit... I'll give you a shout. I love your photography and always have it would be an honor for you to show me some tricks!

My battery is charging and I'm dressing the kids for a shoot! :)

Dianah

Most reactions

New Topics

Back