Recently purchased a Kiev 60 and very pleased

ravduc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is my first venture into medium format after having used a multitude of 35mm cameras and digital slr's for over 35 years. I always wanted to try medium format. The digital cameras that I have are terrific in many respects and I have printed many beautiful photos. I was a bit worried about this purchase mainly because of the bad publicity that many seem to post on the web about this camera. Got my first color negatives back and I am extremely happy with the results. Framing is evenly spaced out, and colors are very saturated, pictures are very sharp, and the TTL light meter is spot on. I had read so many threads on how these cameras were not very good. The normal lens on this camera is very sharp. You must however keep your hand over the depth of field button for anything focused any closer than one meter. Light seems to penetrate on the sides of the button. This is not really a problem as long as you know. Flocking the interior as many have mentioned was not an issue. Mine had the minimal amount of flocking included. I painted some parts of the mirror box with Kodak dull black just to make sure. I think that these cameras are underated. Has anyone else use a Kiev 60?

Never tried one, but I've been thinking about it. I'm waiting to see the results from yours. :mrgreen:

It's encouraging to read that you're having a good experience with it, and I'm hoping to see some shots from it.

Will likely get an Epson V500 in the next few months and should be able to post a few. For now I am still experimenting with the camera. I just purchased two more lenses (MIR 26b and Kaleinar 3). The camera was bought from DVD tecknik on ebay and is brand new as far as I can tell. Delivery time to Canada only took one week. They seem to have adjusted the camera for Fuji and Kodak film which is thinner than the Russian stuff. Spacing is therefore not an issue. They also flocked the interior close the the lens mouth. I flocked the rest with Kodak dull paint. I was quite surprised to find the interior of the camera where the film is installed to be very well finished (film guides, pressure plate, etc), even more than the exterior. I have read so many contradicting information on the web about these cameras. Many complain about the poor quality of the cameras and others are raving about its qualities for the price. For about 200usd (more or less), its quite hard to find anything better.

The Ruskies made a great product. The problems come when you have to fix it. If it's a well cared for working camera, shoot it to death and enjoy the wonderful results. They are nice cameras, you'll be very pleased with the results. Is yours one with the metal shutter curtain?

The Kiev 60 like the Pentacon six, has a focal plane rubberized cloth shutter just like the 35mm film slr's. It actually looks like a very big slr.The camera is Ukrainian and not Russian as many people seem to think. Many seem to think that these cameras don't work properly. Mine has no light leaks, perfect spacing between frames, a reasonably accurate light meter, and the shutter speeds are accurate. The camera is brand new. Not bad for just under 200usd plus shipping.

Nice camera! The cool thing about the Kiev 60 is it has the same lens mount as the Praktica/Pentacon/Exakta 66. So there's a ton of cool used lenses out there that will work on your camera. Many of the Carl Zeiss Jena optics are top notch, and can be had for great prices.

Most reactions

Back