reception help

officersdr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently shot a friends wedding and found that some of the shots at the recption were really dark. I have a hot shoe flash and it works good for single shots, but not so well in multiple bursts. Would going to a fast lens help???

Here's what I'm using: Sony Alpha A100
18-70mm f3.5
Sony Alpha Flash
Lexmark pro series 2GB card

Any help would be great as I have 3 more weddings planned this season.

A flash needs time to recycle and it depends on the type and charge level of the batteries....most cameras will shoot faster than the flash can keep up.

You can make it easier on the flash by using a large aperture or a high ISO. So yes, a faster lens might help if you use a large aperture...but you may still have problems trying to keep up with the camera's continuous shooting.

Using a large aperture can also allow more ambient light to be recorded.

I recently shot a friends wedding and found that some of the shots at the recption were really dark. I have a hot shoe flash and it works good for single shots, but not so well in multiple bursts. Would going to a fast lens help???

Here's what I'm using: Sony Alpha A100
18-70mm f3.5
Sony Alpha Flash
Lexmark pro series 2GB card

Any help would be great as I have 3 more weddings planned this season.
Multiple bursts are not a good idea with flash because the flash head doesn't have time to recycle between shots. If the subject is real close, you might get away with a burst of two or three shots but anything else is a waste of pixels. The recycle time can be as much as thirty seconds if the subject is real far away and your aperture is small. Check your user manual.

I have to agree with the ohers fast lens and slow down. There may be a mode on your flash that will allow you to shoot bursts at a lower power but this will not be for strictly flash photography more as a fill. Generally the best thing to do all around is use a faster lens.

Receptions are prime place to use a flash in an uninhibited manner. Fast glass in this case would be my #2 choice... but I certainly would not limit my way to just one option when both will give me equally pleasant results.

A lot depends on the location and circumstances... but its not like in the church as the vows are being taken... where a flash would be frowned upon heavily in most cases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back