Rechargeable AA Batteries

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Markw, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Markw

Markw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi all. I will be getting in a new camera tomorrow with a grip. I was wondering what type of rechargeable batteries everyone uses, whether it be for the camera grip or for the flash. I am dying to hear these extra 3.5FPS, so I would like to pick up the batteries as soon as possible. I currently only have 4 Rayovac batteries, and they are for my flash.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone uses off-brand batteries and, if so, which brand so I can pick some up. Links would be wonderful, but if you dont have one on hand, brand name, any specifications I may need, and user comments are appreciated. :mrgreen:

Thanks alot.
    Mark

2. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a couple sets of these and they seem to be fine.

For a good charger, look here. They also offer an 8 bay charger, maybe 16 bay too.

3. PerfectlyFlawed

PerfectlyFlawed TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ive been using the *walmart* brand rechargeable (AA and AAA) For awhile now, they last long, and have never had a problem with them. Ive got energizers too. Those work great, but are spendy.

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Annsmann, Sanyo, Everready, Kodak...all have been okay for me.

5. Markw

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Perfect. Thanks everyone. If anyone has any more, Id love to hear them. :thumbsup:

Mark

6. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Stay away from Duracell. I have a set of 2650mAh, and they are great workhorse cells.... when they are freshly charged. The PITA is that they only hold that charge for about 4 days. I don't know if I got a hold of a bad batch or what, but I certainly won't buy them again.

7. Vinny

Vinny TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    For rechargable batteries NIMH are the way to go. Sanyo Eneloops are NIMH that will hold a charge for a long time but they only come in 2100 mAH capacity. The link that kundalini gave is for Powerex and they come in a higher capacity than the Eneloops but they don't hold their charge for too long.

Example - The Powerex may give you 500 flash firings where the Eneloops may give you 350 but the Eneloops will last months with their charge where the Powerex will last only a week.

I also have a Maha charger but not the one in the link. It came with a car charge and is capable of charging batteries in 1 1/2 hours on quick charge. I bought it before the newer charges came out but I think having a car charger and fast charge would come in handy if the need arises.

8. Markw

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In all honesty, I would rather the batteries last for 500 flashes and have to charge once a week than to have charged batteries for a month when they only get 350 flashes out of them. I will be using these batteries in my camera's grip, however. So flashes arent of my concern. I know the same logic would transfer over to the grip as well, so Id rather them be stronger than work longer, if you catch my drift.

Mark

9. Vinny

Vinny TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Personally, my plans would be to have both but that's me. I would want the Eneloops available because they keep a charge just in case I forgot to charge the other ones. I had bought the Powerex batteries and charger first due to my P&S ate batteries - I was really impressed in how well they lasted. My charger takes about 1 1/2 hours but dead batteries are dead batteries, the Powerex batteries (almost every brand of NIMH as well) lose 1% of their charge per day. Having at least one set that can be charged and stored would be beneficial just in case the others don't get charged for some reason.

My question to you is I thought grips take the battery that comes in the camera (at least the D90 grip does) why not buy the battery that's for the camera? It probably would be about the same as a bunch of batteries and a charger.

10. Markw

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Because my new camera, the D300s, only gets 6FPS with the Nikon manufactured battery in the grip. With the AAs, it gets 8FPS. For some reason, it cant achieve the extra FPS with the Nikon battery. I suppose the extra Nikon battery just isnt enough juice to allow the camera to function in that way.

Mark

11. Markw

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Im thinking about getting 2300 MaH NiMH Energizers. I found a great deal on them still in the package. Like you said, not that much capacity, but, at this price, I can purchase more of them and use them for both my camera and my flash. :thumbsup:

Mark

12. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sanyo Eneloops then.

When I first started with using speedlights, I had 8 eneloops for two of my flashes and 4 generic rechargeables. I was shooting in about 40F degree weather and the generic batteries were dead in a matter of minutes while the Eneloops did what I needed them too.

That and I'll leave them in my flashes for weeks at a time without having to recharge them.