Rechargeable Batteries?

Discussion in 'Canon Accessories' started by DRAGNFRAME, Dec 16, 2012.

1. DRAGNFRAME

DRAGNFRAME New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    My wife has a canon T2I,and I would like to be able to get her some rechargeable batteries for her camera,flash and triggers. What kind do I need to get? Thanks
  2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +4,308 / 8
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    I recommend a second Canon battery for the T2i.

I recommend using NiMH rechargable batteries for the flash and triggers. Powerex AA 2700mAh Rechargeable NiMH Batteries with holder- 4 Batteries Per Pack
    Powerex MH-C800S Eight Cell Smart Charger + 8 Pack AA NiMH Rechargeable Batteries [2700mAh]

There are 2 kinds of NiMH batteries:
    • ones that hold most of theri charge for several months, but have a lower power rating (mAh) (use in the triggers)
    • ones that hold a charge for just a couple of days, but have a higher power rating.(Use in the flash, and charge the night before the batteries will be used)
    Fast charging NiMH batteries dramatically reduces their life span from the heat fast charging produces.

​
  3. DRAGNFRAME

DRAGNFRAME New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Thanks, I read that people really like the sanyo eneloop, What is your thought about them?
  4. Awiserbud

Awiserbud New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Eneloops are the only AA's i use, I have 6 sets of 4 and by far they are the best rechargables in my opinion...however...they have been discontinued for whatever reason, you can still buy them, mainly online though.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +4,308 / 8
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    I preferred the fast discharge NiMH batteries, because I knew they would always need to be re-charged before use.

With the Eneloop NiMH batteries, you can't tell have much charge they have left, and need to recharge them too just to make sure of their charge level.
  6. Edsport

Edsport Active Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +75 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    I use 3800 mAh batteries. Lots of stored power. From what i understand, the difference from eneloops and the ones i use is that eneloops hold their charge when not in use better than other batteries that will drain when not in use but has more storage power. Storage power is what i want but i have to charge them a day or so before using them. 4 3800 mAh batteriers for about $4.00 and free shipping, very cheap so you can buy lots and have lots of backup power. I use the orange CFL ones - 3800 mah aa | eBay

Eneloops - eneloop in Rechargeable Batteries | eBay
  7. EIngerson

EIngerson Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,127 / 0
    Eneloop, hands down.
  8. Edsport

Edsport Active Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +75 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Why would you prefer Eneloops? The highest capacity i see with Eneloops is about 2500 mAh. Yes they hold their power while not in use but what we really want is lots of power when we are using them, isn't it?
  9. oldhippy

oldhippy Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,822 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  10. Edsport

Edsport Active Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +75 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    You're welcome. For that price get a couple packs. Nice to have backups...
  11. Awiserbud

Awiserbud New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0
    well my reasons for using them are several, as mentioned they hold their charge extremely well, after i've done a shoot i always recharge them and i know that however long it might be until my next shoot they will always be more or less fully charged, one less thing to worry about.
    In my experience they seem to charge much quicker than other rechargables i have used.
    I appreciate that companies are developing rechargable batteries all the time therefore there may well be better ones out there now, I stumbled across this webpage which does make interesting reading (if you have the time to look into it)
    I suppose if your using rapid bursts a lot of the time then you may well need a higher discharge rate than 2500mAh, fortunatly i dont use that function often so 2500 is adequate for my needs.

Digital Imaging Accessories Review: The Great Battery Shootout
  12. 12sndsgood

12sndsgood Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +363 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    I have switched over to the enerloops recently and haven't had any issues with them. I have extras so i just slap a charged set in before a shoot and have the other set on the rechargers, keep all my flashes and triggers on them as well as half the stuff around the house.
  13. Dao

Dao Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +350 / 0
    I have the Energizer which offer higher mAh. I also have Eneloops and other low discharge rate rechargeable (some were rebranded Eneloops). For my applications, the Eneloops works better for me.

I am not a professional photographer that I need to use my flashes everyday and I do not need to shoot with flashes all day (like weddings). I just need to have some spares around so that I do not need to recharge them every time I need to use my flash(es). I only recharge them when needed. Of course, if I know I am going to use my flashes for a shoot that may last for awhile, I will make sure all of them are charged. (i.e. One time I need to take photos of the datacenter for the company that I work for).

So in general, I have few sets of batteries in the bag that were fully charged at one point. Since the discharge rate is low, so even if the batteries sit for a year, I still have about 75% juice in them.

So for causal shooter, I think low discharge rate rechargeable battery works better. However for those who need more stored power per cell, go with one with higher mAh and recharge them before the shoot (or get a external battery pack)
  14. Edsport

Edsport Active Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +75 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    That battery adapter is a good idea but usually when something requires D size batteries it uses quite a bit of energy. A D battery is about 10,000 mAh and your AA batteries is 3800 mAh so they may not last very long...
  15. DRAGNFRAME

DRAGNFRAME New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    If the eneloops aren't avaiable anymore, what is a brand I can pick up in store that will work good? Thanks