Recommend a 35mm Camera

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by keith204, Aug 19, 2008.

1. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The camera that I used to shoot the pictures here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133796 is an EOS ELAN II that I am borrowing from my brother-in-law. Anyway, I had tons of fun shooting my first roll of B&W 35mm film. Now, I'm ready to buy a hobby camera.

First I looked into buying this camera off him for $75 or so. Are there any other 35mm camera bodies that I should look into before buying this?

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Since you're already a Canon shooter, I'd say that sounds like a good deal to me.

3. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    The ELan IIe was my first EOS camera and still one of my favorites... I still have it. Not as advanced as later Elans but the dual dial layout was wonderful. Every feature of the camera was practically available via a turn of a dial. The only reservation I'd have is that it is an all plastic camera. I say go for it.

4. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    35mm SLR film cameras I like:

EOS 7s
    Canon A1 (on EBay)

Nikon F3
    Nikon F4
    Nikon F5
    Nikon F6

Olympus OM-4Ti

But you mentioned Canons so I only linked to those ones. :D And I never actually owned the Nikon F6. Just read about it. :D

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  5. Steph

Steph No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Eh?! That is not a 35mm camera but an APS camera. The choice of films is really limited for these APS cameras.

6. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    EOS IX = APS film camera = yuk. You'd be lucky to find traditional B&W film for it.

7. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh... Heh!

I had one about 6 years ago. Someone gave it to me. It was built like a steel brick and the design was really classy. I never took any pictures with it but I could swear it was a 35mm. It was 24mm cartridge huh? Hehehe...

Or maybe it was a different model? Is there one that looks like that (same styling) that is a 35mm film camera? To find this one I searched the camera museum because I don't remember the specific name.

I'll have another look though.

8. keith204

Photos OK to edit
    thanks guys, you've helped make up my decision.

I'll either buy this ELAN II from him, or get another ELAN II. It's a fun camera, and I like the style/appearance of it. It still has a familiar feel, even though it's a completely different camera than my 40Ds. Sounds like there's not much reason to go more expensive on a hobby camera. The ELAN II combined with my Canon 50mm f/1.4 has been a great combination.

9. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The ELAN series are pretty good. If you can swing an ELAN 7 or 7n, that would be several years more modern than the ELAN II. Some of the ELAN cameras have the 'eye controlled focus' (an 'e' in the name). This is a neat feature that some people love and some people hate.

Depending on your budget, you might also consider a used 'pro' model. The EOS 3 was a great camera and there are plenty of 1 series cameras floating around...the 1n was very popular I think. The problem with those, are that they might have been heavily used by a pro, where as an ELAN might have been used twice a year by an old lady.

I've got an EOS 650, the first EOS ever made. it's big and heavy but built like a tank. It has or does have the common problems though, a 'gooey' shutter bumper and a wonky control dial.

10. keith204

Photos OK to edit
    Big Mike, that EOS 3 looks like a very capable camera...in fact, there are some features (45-point AF) that my 40Ds don't even have! It seems to be a great camera with great reviews. Also, it's apparently built better, so that's a plus.

Now... I am TOTALLY comfortable using a film camera (as one of my cameras) to hold my 50 f/1.4 for portrait sessions. Is there any reason that this camera (combined with 50 f/1.4) would NOT be sufficient for taking portraits that could possibly be blown up to 16x20?

11. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    When talking film cameras...the actual model of the camera is pretty much irrelevant when talking about image quality and the ability to make enlargements. It's the lens and the film that are important. The 50mm F1.4 is a great lens, so I wouldn't see any problems. Although, I'd probably prefer to use your 70-200 for portraits.

12. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    ooOOooo... the slippery slop of G.A.S :)

First, Elan II ... good enough
    But... The Elan 7.. is more advanced
    But... The EOS 3 has that nice AF
    But... The 1n is a 1 series
    But... Guess the next step? At this point... the 1v (I have one love it).

hehehe....

The world of film is different from digital... as Mike said... whether you are shooting with an Elan or 1v.. the film inside is the same.