Recommend a beginner a DSLR

Senor Hound, who is too poor to buy ANY DSLR, Olympus or otherwise :)

Welcome to the club....I too can't afford a dSLR, that is why I have so many film cameras. ;)

This is where I shamelessly plug my D60 kit for sale

[Mod Edit]Link removed]

Good luck in your search.

Please don't do that, This is the second time I have seen you do this.

Even if it is directing to a thread on this forum, it is still spam.

Welcome to the club....I too can't afford a dSLR, that is why I have so many film cameras. ;)

Please don't do that, This is the second time I have seen you do this.

Even if it is directing to a thread on this forum, it is still spam.

Sorry, SIR!
Post deleted, SIR! :salute:

You can buy a used Nikon D2h for about $700.

8fps and built like a tank!

Not to mention I always hang out with my friend who is a HARDCORE photographer, and ask him all sorts of questions.

I've actually never seen the term "hardcore" used to describe a photographer before... hehehe lol. What is he??? the James Bond of photographers or the Ron Jeremy of photographers.

I'm going to plug in Pentax just because.... K200D. Lots of features, lots of backward compatibility with manual lenses (for budget minded), and lots of bang for the buck. Check out the features on their website and dpreview... ask questions if you like (search TPF too).

In my opinion. Get a Canon or Nikon.
99% of all the professionals I see are using either Nikon or Canon. In fact I don't recall seeing any other camera.
If you want something (latest model) for intro for Canon get the Digital Rebel XSi or from Nikon the D60 just came out (both in January)

I am getting a Canon 350D. I have read that Canon and Nikon cameras can use lenses from 15+ years ago, which makes it plus.

Thanks for all the help guys. This forum is a very friendly and helpful place.

Just to update I got my 350D today. I'm loving it so far!

I also picked up an old Minolta 400si with a 35-80mm lens (i think) at a salvation army store for only $15 bucks, works perfectly. Once i get the hang of aperature and shutter speed I'll move on to some film photography with it.

Sweet! I've been pondering picking up an older film body myself. Enjoy! :)

what Senor Hound said......a wide range of quality lens offerings is the key consideration IMO

... What's wrong with Olympus?
I spent $500 on an Olympus in Jan 2006 this was the biggest waste of money.
I have been super happy with my Canon 30D though. I am looking to get a Canon 40D as my second body. I have tried a few Canon rebels and I would still have to say I much prefer my 30D!! The edges are so much cleaner too.

I spent $500 on an Olympus in Jan 2006 this was the biggest waste of money.

How so? Now, granted, I was getting upset when Oly took so long to replace the E-1 in the lineup... and it would be nice to have a D3 equivalent. But, Oly still makes great dSLR's - with, arguably, unbeatable glass.

Our studio shoots both Oly and Nikon. I personally prefer Olympus. Take the E-3, pair it with a 35-100/2 lens, and you've got an unbeatable combination. Now that the 14-35/2 is available, it only bolsters the unique position that Olympus has.

I'm not at all a zealot when it comes to brands. We're not even loyal to a single brand. But, I do find it remarkable how often people dismiss very viable options out of hand.

So I've been messing around with the camera today. I tried full manual mode, got a few decent shots, but got tired of switching the shutter speed and aperature repeatedly to get good shots. I used full automatic shots and they came out perfectly every time!

For night shots however I find that its better if I just use manual mode.

Now my question today is: how do I take pictures that have a soft look to them? Photoshop post processing only?

"soft look" for images is kinda of vague, do you have an example of what you mean?

Most reactions

Back