Recommend A Tripod

Ball heads might be great for 35mm cameras but I'm not trusting my 4x5 to one even if it is a little bit of a beater.

Not sure what your 4X5 weighs, but even the $70 unit holds my 200mm just fine. I 'm pretty happy with my alignment skills so far.. The Novaflex unit is amazing costing as much as a XTI camera... Some of the Gitzo versions feel like they could hold a small truck (load of cash).

BTW - The Calumet (7045) brand ball head for $109.99 has tolerance issues as of this writing... it offers pan with lock over the manfroto version (nice action too), but the the quick connect plate can be loosened after 'locking' and your manfroto plates will slip right past the 'safety' lock! Back to QC for that one.

-Shea

danjchau said: Ball heads are way better than pan heads for photography. It takes a few seconds, when your in action, to switch from landscape mode to portrait mode. It's also easy to line your camera straight and level. I've been borrowing my uncle's Manfrotto 190B with a ball head (So solid, So Nice), since I don't have a tripod. So, I am having trouble deciding too, since I'm on a tight budget.
Not a blanket statement that I would agree with. Try doing some macro or architectural work with a ball head. IF you have hair you will definitely have less when you get done. I prefer at least a pan/tilt or a geared head for this kind of work. They are much more precise.

In the studio I prefer the 322 from Manfrotto. Very fast to adjust and the optional shutter release is nice.

In the field for general work I do prefer a ball head due to it's compact nature. It is easier to carry around than either the 322 or a pan/tilt head. Heads like most other gear excels in certain areas and lacks in others. It's best to choose a head for the type of shooting that you are doing.

monkeykoder said: Ball heads might be great for 35mm cameras but I'm not trusting my 4x5 to one even if it is a little bit of a beater.
You haven't played with one of these then.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1437942
It's designed for the largest of glass and easily could hold a 4X5. Does come at a price though.

-------------

Last edited:
I love my setup. Hurt a bit at the time though, at around $350

Manfrotto 488 midi ball head on the 3021Pro legs. Hurts a bit to hike with too :)

Know what you mean about pano's. Even though it will pan around the base independently from the ball adjustment, try as I might, I always seem to get a bit of misalignment...

Definitely stick with Manfrotto/Bogen for quality. I'd also consider Velbon for other options. For the budget minded, you really should look into used. Not much in a tripod to break and they last a long time. My 3021 legs and 3 way pan head (old version non beveled center column) was found for $35.

Most reactions

Back