Recommend another camera

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Sixtease, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Sixtease

Sixtease TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    After you good people recommended me a camera for myself, I'm asking your advice once more on behalf of my sister. She wants a cheap digital camera with basic functions (some zoom, flash). The important thing that it needs, and why I'm asking you instead of a feature-search webpage, is that this one really needs to have usb mass storage. The Cannon I bought has a proprietary protocol over USB, so in Linux it is unusable and I have to rely on my card reader. My sister has no card reader though, so the USB interface is crucial.

Do you know of a cheap digital camera that has the standard USB mass storage interface?

2. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    but usb card readers cost only around 6 EUR ;)

3. Sixtease

Sixtease TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    True that. But it's another piece of hardware, another complication. And I so love standard-compliant devices :)

4. yeti

yeti TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just attached my Canon camera to my computer and investigated. I am a Linux fan myself and something like this is quite disturbing to me. The proprietary protocol turned out to be PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) with some extensions you don't care about. Generic PTP, which is all that you need to download pictures, is not proprietary and I am pretty sure I have seen Linux support for it: gPhoto for Gnome and digiKam for KDE should support it natively. I can't remember if the Linux kernel has something for PTP as well. You only really need Canon's software if you intend to use features like remote shooting and stuff.

Now for a camera for your sister: Can you be a bit more specific? What is your price range? What kind of zoom does your sister need?

5. reconstyle

reconstyle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You can the the sandisk SD card that filps open to become USB compatible....
    [​IMG]

6. adolan20

adolan20 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  7. RacePhoto

RacePhoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Depends on what "shape" camera you want too. Powershot A570 IS is nice for about $159.

I don't understand the USB problem, but I use a pocket drive that was under $20 and included a 512sd card. Uses any SD card and plugs into the computer. In case that didn't make sense, it's a SD card thumb drive where you can change the cards.

Last time I connected a camera to a computer, was to edit personal data on the camera, otherwise a card reader is easier, doesn't need a special cable, and works anywhere on any computer, including... if you take photos to the kiosk to print you can use the same SD card holder.

Direct cable isn't easiest, it's more complicated.

8. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Stop using Linux and you're set.

9. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    ouch.. I say that to fustrated Windows users all the time.

I think it is just easier and better to use a card reader. In fact it is even easier.... I use SD cards with built-in USB.

10. Sixtease

Sixtease TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Kudos and respect. It's working just fine now that I know what I'm dealing with. Thanks!

And thank you all for the suggestions. The budget is under 125 Euro, but in Europe, the cameras tend to be a bit more expensive. Now that I know I need not fear Canon (actually sister's Ubuntu found and processed my camera with a neat GUI program without any installation/configuration needed - could have tried that earlier :) ), I'm much more in peace.