vonnagy

have kiwi, will travel...
Reaction score
Website
www.vonnagy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi kids,

Still looking to upgrade my mp3 collection, I am looking for new artists to upgrade collection. Can you help?

guidelines

1. Must be new artists (no album released prior to 5 years ago - sorry jonmikal & terri, there are actually are musicians other than the beatles and finn brothers :shock: :greenpbl: )

2. Must be relatively obscure, ie non top 40, or not big selling artists.

3. Can be any genre: jazz, trip hop, electronica, techno, downbeat, rap, reggae, ska, rock, country, dance etc.. i have a very electic range of music (as those who have swapped files with me know - eh.. that sounded kinda kinky :lol: )

at the moment i prefer downbeat because its the easiest music to work to (ie i won't get distracted by lyrics or wailing guitar solos).

ah, heres a cool site for some relatively new unknown musicians

interested to see what you kids are listening to these days.
:D

(no album released prior to 5 years ago - sorry jonmikal & terri, there are actually are musicians other than the beatles and finn brothers :shock: :greenpbl: )
:lol: Bite me, sweetie!

All right, if you wanna play hardball: www.theartsandsciences.com Let's see: local band, signed with a local label (owned by Amy Ray of the Indigo Girls), latest album released March 2005. They've toured along the East coast, but are still obscure, trust me. :razz: The last tour dates were in June, they're taking a break at the moment. You can download plenty of stuff from the site and lemme know what you think.

So, you know, nyahhh. :greenpbl:

vonnagy said:
sorry jonmikal & terri, there are actually are musicians other than the beatles and finn brothers :shock: :greenpbl: )

i'll need proof! ;)

terri said:
:lol: Bite me, sweetie!

All right, if you wanna play hardball: www.theartsandsciences.com Let's see: local band, signed with a local label (owned by Amy Ray of the Indigo Girls), latest album released March 2005. They've toured along the East coast, but are still obscure, trust me. :razz: The last tour dates were in June, they're taking a break at the moment. You can download plenty of stuff from the site and lemme know what you think.

So, you know, nyahhh. :greenpbl:

oh cool, i remember amy ray back in the day, hehehehe. i will say i finally heard (forcibly) the Finn Bros last album and actually liked it :greenpbl: . I'll check at the band above as soon as i get access to my hi speed connection :)

and thanks for playin' ;)

JonMikal said:
i'll need proof! ;)

no soup for you!!! do you wanna get some negative rep points :playball:

oi, the two people i did not want to answer to this thread are the first ones to reply! :lmao: Just kidding, matey ;)

i will say i finally heard (forcibly) the Finn Bros last album and actually liked it :greenpbl:
:cheer: See, I knew it. Always listen to aunty Terri. She will not steer you wrong. :sillysmi:

Oh, and I'll take that auralgasm site and raise you this one: www.garageband.com for new or unsigned artists. Tons of good stuff to be found here.

Happy searching, matey! :cheers:

terri said:
:cheer: See, I knew it. Always listen to aunty Terri. She will not steer you wrong. :sillysmi:

Oh, and I'll take that auralgasm site and raise you this one: www.garageband.com for new or unsigned artists. Tons of good stuff to be found here.

Happy searching, matey! :cheers:

thankya auntie terri :sexywink: - will check the garage band site.

Here's 3 for ya:

Probably one of my favorite bands right now is Keane. Check out their album Hopes and Fears. It's good stuff. But then again, they are a pretty big selling artist, even though I don't think they really sound like it. If you want to go obscure and don't mind French music, a (French) friend recently turned me on to this new artist named Camille. Really awesome singer. Check out the song Ta Douleur. I still don't know what most of the lyrics mean, but it's still some pretty good music imo. Also, you might like the band Greenscene. They're not very upbeat but I wouldn't call them downbeat either. And I'm pretty sure they're an obscure band. I hadn't heard of them until someone sent me a song by them. Then I went out and bought their album. It's pretty good.

This is what I have been buying. Nothing too terribly obscure and only relatively new.

Hip hop
GURU Version 7.0, Aceyalone Love and Hate. DJ Ztrip Shifting Gears. MIA

Dance
Fat Boy Slim Pallookaville. Chemical Brothers Push the Button. DJ Tiesto In Search of Sunrise.

British alternative
The Killers (I forgot the name of the album) Kasabian

Traditional rock
Yardbirds Birdland

Try Jack Johnson, very good for the summer but I would imagine also good the rest of the year.

Unimaxium said:
a (French) friend recently turned me on to this new artist named Camille. Really awesome singer. Check out the song Ta Douleur. I still don't know what most of the lyrics mean, but it's still some pretty good music imo. Also, you might like the band Greenscene. .
i've downloaded the french chick, pretty funky, i dig it. There is another french singer, Berenice, who i like, but she sings in english. Most of its very pop sounding, but not too bad. I couldn't find Greenscene but I keep an eye out for it.
scurra said:
Try Jack Johnson, very good for the summer but I would imagine also good the rest of the year.
jack johnson and ben harpper are almost cultural icons in new zealand. I couldn't imagine a trip the beach w/o jj :D
craig said:
DJ Tiesto In Search of Sunrise.
DJ Tiesto = good stuff

ferny said:

my bandwidth is toast atm, but i'll be checking those sites out.

at the moment i prefer downbeat because its the easiest music to work to (ie i won't get distracted by lyrics or wailing guitar solos).

Sigur Ros . <- amazing band from iceland. Definately won't be distracted by the lyrics.
Jorane is cool too. Canadian chikky that sings in french or english, or sometimes a weird 'enya' sounding language.

Oh and also, Sarah Blasko . Her voice is amazing and her album is just to die for!

3 bands have me hooked at the moment....
1-Arcade Fire-(indie), really good stuff
2-Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah...indie, unsigned band out of brooklyn, I'm totally addicted.
3-The National...indie, opening up for CYH, have been around for 6 years, but just now getting a little exposure, brilliant songwriting and melodies. These guys and CYH have all received critical praise, I think you might dig them.

Sorry, the band's websites are easy to find except for The National
http://americanmary.com/

Let me know what you think of them.

Someone above mentioned Bloc Party, good Brit pop as well, going to see them soon.

p.s. beatles are overrated. ;)

Most reactions

Back